1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching a signal

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    Sketch the following signal

u(t-3)-2u(t-8)+u(t-5)

if it was u(t-3)+u(t-5) I'd be able to sketch it, but the 2u(t-8) is confusing me
    help me :(

I can draw the first part u(t-3) how do I add the second to the graph and then the third

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take the 3, 5, and 8 terms in order. Start by drawing u(t-3). Then add u(t-5). You said you already can do that. Now just subtract 2u(t-8). You just add graphs by adding their ordinates.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot, but Im confused on the 2u part. I can draw u(t-3) and u(t-5) but what is 2u? i'm used to u's

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You multiply u(t) by 2, so its values are 0 and 2.

6. Nov 30, 2009 #5
    hey so this is my rough sketch of the first and last part how exactly will i fit in the -2u(t-8) in this. I did it in paint lol :( I'm a total noob but in the process of learning more help will be appreciated

untitlediioo.jpg

7. Nov 30, 2009 #6
    hey I was trying to work on it more, is it by any chance something like this

untitlediioo-1.jpg

8. Nov 30, 2009 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ta Daa! He gets it!

9. Dec 1, 2009 #8
    Thanks <3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook