Learn How to Sketch a Signal with Step-by-Step Instructions

• Thread starter zee3b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the signal u(t-3)-2u(t-8)+u(t-5). The expert summarizer explains that the steps to drawing the signal include drawing u(t-3), adding u(t-5), and then subtracting 2u(t-8) by adding the graphs of the ordinates. The person asking for help expresses confusion with the 2u part and the expert explains that u(t) is multiplied by 2, with values of 0 and 2. The person then shares their rough sketch and asks for further guidance, which the expert provides. The conversation ends with the person successfully understanding how to sketch the signal.
zee3b
Sketch the following signal

u(t-3)-2u(t-8)+u(t-5)

if it was u(t-3)+u(t-5) I'd be able to sketch it, but the 2u(t-8) is confusing me
help me :(

I can draw the first part u(t-3) how do I add the second to the graph and then the third

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the 3, 5, and 8 terms in order. Start by drawing u(t-3). Then add u(t-5). You said you already can do that. Now just subtract 2u(t-8). You just add graphs by adding their ordinates.

LCKurtz said:
Take the 3, 5, and 8 terms in order. Start by drawing u(t-3). Then add u(t-5). You said you already can do that. Now just subtract 2u(t-8). You just add graphs by adding their ordinates.

Thanks a lot, but I am confused on the 2u part. I can draw u(t-3) and u(t-5) but what is 2u? I'm used to u's

zee3b said:
Thanks a lot, but I am confused on the 2u part. I can draw u(t-3) and u(t-5) but what is 2u? I'm used to u's

You multiply u(t) by 2, so its values are 0 and 2.

hey so this is my rough sketch of the first and last part how exactly will i fit in the -2u(t-8) in this. I did it in paint lol :( I'm a total noob but in the process of learning more help will be appreciated

untitlediioo.jpg

hey I was trying to work on it more, is it by any chance something like this

untitlediioo-1.jpg

Ta Daa! He gets it!

Thanks <3

1. What is the purpose of learning how to sketch a signal?

The purpose of learning how to sketch a signal is to visually represent a signal's behavior or characteristics, such as amplitude, frequency, and time. This is important in understanding and analyzing various types of signals, such as electrical, mechanical, or digital signals.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to learn how to sketch a signal?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge or experience to learn how to sketch a signal. However, basic understanding of math concepts, such as plotting coordinates and understanding scales, can be helpful.

3. What are the steps involved in sketching a signal?

The steps involved in sketching a signal include determining the type of signal, identifying the key characteristics of the signal, plotting the signal on a graph using appropriate scales, and labeling the axes and key points on the graph.

4. Are there any tools or software that can assist in sketching a signal?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist in sketching a signal, such as graphing calculators, signal processing software, and online graphing tools. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and do the sketching manually before relying on these tools.

5. Can I use the same steps to sketch any type of signal?

Yes, the basic steps for sketching a signal remain the same regardless of the type of signal. However, the specific techniques and considerations may vary depending on the characteristics of the signal, such as whether it is analog or digital, continuous or discrete, and periodic or non-periodic.