1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching a simple plane in R3 (should be easy, but not for me :P)

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1
    Well, I'm learning plane sketching in R3.

One of the questions is 5y- z - 10 = 0

It is my understanding that the y intercept will be 2, and the z intercept will be -10.

With the absence of an x-term it should be parallel (?) to the x-axis.

I sketch the three axis, note the two points (0,2,0) and (0,0,-10) as the intercepts, but I have no idea how to actually draw the plane itself from this point on.

Unfortunately I have no scanner available to me to even show you what I have so far.

If you can even (verbally) suggest how I draw it, that'd be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2
    To clarify, I have the two points selected, but I just don't understand how I could draw a rectangular section that would be parallel to the x-axis.

It looks....skewed

4. Aug 13, 2005 #3
    x can be anything. if you draw the line 5y-z=10 in the yz-plane & then imagine lifting it straight upwards you'll get your plane.

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4
    An easy way I keep track of planes: if the equation is
    [tex]a x + b y + c z = d[/tex]

then a normal vector is
    [tex]\vec{n} = a \hat{x} + b \hat{y} + c \hat{z}[/tex]

If you think about it long enough it'll become intuitive. A plane z=constant, is parallel to the xy-plane, so the normal vector goes straight up in the z-direction.

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    aha!

I think I understand it now. I believe that I was going about it the wrong way. It just looked a little funny with the way I drew the x axis. Hard to comprehend three dimensions on a two dimensional paper :D

Later today I'll try and draw it in MSPaint :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?