Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Sketching complex graph

1. May 6, 2017 #1

Kajan thana

Gold Member

Hi guys,

I need some help on sketching graph complex functions such as ( 2x-⅜+¾e^-2x).
    Can someone please help me on sketching a graph like the one that I mentioned above. Is there any useful videos or website I can use. And please let me know if there are any good tips to get accurate graph.

I know the basics such find the y and x intercepts and the turning points. How would I able to recognise the general shape and if there is any asymptotes.

Thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In examples like yours, look for divisions by zero and exponents of negative numbers, where the function would be undefined. The function may be asymptotic as x approaches those places. In general, you may be able to piece together the behavior of simple parts and terms of the equation (exponentials, periodic trig functions, low order polynomials, etc.)

There is a limit of what you can do without plugging in numbers. If you want any accuracy at all, you will ultimately have to plug in numbers.

EDIT: changed "negative exponents" to "exponents of negative numbers"

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  4. May 6, 2017 #3

Kajan thana

Gold Member

So for the example above,( 2x-⅜+¾e^-2x), there is no asymptotes, am I right ?

5. May 6, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##2x-\frac 3 8 + \frac 3 4 e^{-2x}##? If that is the correct interpretation, it doesn't have vertical asymptotes.

6. May 6, 2017 #5

Kajan thana

Gold Member

but if the value of x increase then e^-2x eventually be zero, but the ( 2x-3/8) will be there still[/QUOTE]

7. May 6, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

2x - 3/8 is a linear function, it does not have vertical asymptotes. It has a different asymptote, sure.

8. May 6, 2017 #7

Kajan thana

Gold Member

So how do we determine if a function have a astmptotes

9. May 6, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

There is no general set of rules that works for every function (at least not until you get to Laurent series). Look at its components, see if some things converge to a fixed value, see what happens to the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted