How can I accurately sketch a complex graph with functions like 2x-⅜+¾e^-2x?

In summary, when sketching complex functions like (2x-⅜+¾e^-2x), it is important to look for divisions by zero and exponents of negative numbers, which may result in asymptotic behavior. It is also helpful to break down the function into simpler parts and determine their individual behavior. However, in order to achieve accuracy, it is necessary to plug in numbers. There is no general rule for determining asymptotes, as it depends on the specific components of the function.
Kajan thana
Hi guys,

I need some help on sketching graph complex functions such as ( 2x-⅜+¾e^-2x).
Can someone please help me on sketching a graph like the one that I mentioned above. Is there any useful videos or website I can use. And please let me know if there are any good tips to get accurate graph.

I know the basics such find the y and x intercepts and the turning points. How would I able to recognise the general shape and if there is any asymptotes.

Thank you so much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In examples like yours, look for divisions by zero and exponents of negative numbers, where the function would be undefined. The function may be asymptotic as x approaches those places. In general, you may be able to piece together the behavior of simple parts and terms of the equation (exponentials, periodic trig functions, low order polynomials, etc.)

There is a limit of what you can do without plugging in numbers. If you want any accuracy at all, you will ultimately have to plug in numbers.

EDIT: changed "negative exponents" to "exponents of negative numbers"

Last edited:
Likes Kajan thana
FactChecker said:
In examples like yours, look for divisions by zero and negative exponents, where the function would be undefined. The function may be asymptotic as x approaches those places. In general, you may be able to piece together the behavior of simple parts and terms of the equation (exponentials, periodic trig functions, low order polynomials, etc.)

There is a limit of what you can do without plugging in numbers. If you want any accuracy at all, you will ultimately have to plug in numbers.
So for the example above,( 2x-⅜+¾e^-2x), there is no asymptotes, am I right ?

##2x-\frac 3 8 + \frac 3 4 e^{-2x}##? If that is the correct interpretation, it doesn't have vertical asymptotes.

mfb said:
##2x-\frac 3 8 + \frac 3 4 e^{-2x}##? If that is the correct interpretation, it doesn't have vertical asymptotes.
but if the value of x increase then e^-2x eventually be zero, but the ( 2x-3/8) will be there still[/QUOTE]

2x - 3/8 is a linear function, it does not have vertical asymptotes. It has a different asymptote, sure.

mfb said:
2x - 3/8 is a linear function, it does not have vertical asymptotes. It has a different asymptote, sure.
So how do we determine if a function have a astmptotes

There is no general set of rules that works for every function (at least not until you get to Laurent series). Look at its components, see if some things converge to a fixed value, see what happens to the rest.

Likes Kajan thana

1. How do you determine the complexity of a graph?

The complexity of a graph can be determined by analyzing its number of vertices, edges, and the relationship between them. Generally, the higher the number of vertices and edges, the more complex the graph is.

2. What are the different types of complex graphs?

There are several types of complex graphs, including directed and undirected graphs, weighted and unweighted graphs, cyclic and acyclic graphs, and complete and incomplete graphs.

3. What are some common methods for sketching complex graphs?

Some common methods for sketching complex graphs include using graph paper, software programs, or drawing by hand. Other techniques may involve breaking down the graph into smaller, simpler components and then combining them to create the overall graph.

4. How do you label and annotate a complex graph?

To label and annotate a complex graph, use clear and concise labels for each vertex and edge. You can also use colors, symbols, and other visual aids to help differentiate and highlight important information on the graph.

5. What are some potential challenges when sketching complex graphs?

Some potential challenges when sketching complex graphs include accurately representing the relationships between vertices and edges, managing the visual complexity of the graph, and ensuring the overall clarity and readability of the graph.