Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sketching graph.

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question attached

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea at all how to start this, I've plotted all 3 separated as x=, y= and z=, which gave me 3 different curves, would I then just join them together?

any hint, tips would be much appareciated

Attached Files:

• q4.jpg
      q4.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex] x =\sqrt z \sin(\theta),\ y = \frac{\sqrt z} 2 \cos(\theta)[/tex]

Hint: Multiply the second equation by 2, square both and add and see if that helps.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    yes! that has helped a lot, although when it came to plotting the equation, I was not sure about the domain of the graph. But this is what I got

I assume since the question specifies that theta is between 0 and 2pi, the maximum allowable value for x-axis and y-axis is -1/1?

As for the h, which is any number greater than 0, I just substituted an arbitrary point greater than 0.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try this code for a nicer plot,which might help you with your domain. I used h = 10 for an example:

restart;
    h := 10;
    surface := [sqrt(z)*cos(theta), sqrt(z)*sin(theta), z];
    domain := [sqrt(z)*cos(theta), sqrt(z)*sin(theta), 0];
    plot3d({domain, surface}, theta = 0 .. 2*Pi, z = 0 .. h, style = patchcontour);

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook