1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching Level Curves

1. Dec 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    z=f(x,y)= -[tex]\sqrt{9-2x^2-y^2}[/tex]

Sketch the level curves for f(x,y)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am really poor at this. I let z = c (a constant) . Substituting c into the equation and rearranging it, I got this 9-c[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]

From this, I know i will get a ellipse. But I am stuck here. How do I find the domain for c and the radius? Some hints will be helpful. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jeffreylze! :smile:
    Hint: first, put 9 - c2 = a, so it's 2x2 + y2 = a …

i] what values can a have?

ii] yes, it's an ellipse, and obviously its centre is at the origin, so just find the points where it intersects the x and y axes. :smile:

4. Dec 28, 2008 #3
    i) Since ellipse has a general equation, (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, hence the a you were referring to would have the values >= 0 ? I dont know, I am quite confused.

5. Dec 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, a2 must be non-negative but a itself can be any (non-zero) number. Bacause of the symmetry, it really doesn't matter.

6. Dec 28, 2008 #5
    Hence, 9-c^2 >= 0 ?

7. Dec 28, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo … 9 - c2 = a,

and the only restriction is that c2 ≥ 0 …

so a … ? :smile:

8. Dec 28, 2008 #7
    so a[tex]\leq[/tex]9 ? Am i right this time?

9. Dec 28, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:

oops … sorry … i forgot what this was all about :redface: … i forgot about the √(9 - 2x2 + y2), so your first answer, a ≥ 0, is also correct: 0 ≤ a ≤ 9.

And now … find the points where it intersects the x and y axes. :smile:

10. Dec 28, 2008 #9
    but the i still couldn't get the answer -3 ≤ c ≤ 0. This is what i did, for 0 ≤ a ≤ 9, I subbed a= 9 - c^2 into it to get 0 ≤ 9 - c^2 ≤ 9 , rearranged and i got 0≤|c|≤3 . Where did i go wrong?

11. Dec 29, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, basically, you're right,

but you dropped a condition when you started to use c2 instead of c …

when you go back from c2 to c, you have to remember that c to c2 is single-valued, but c2 to c is double-valued, and you have to select the right square-root (of c2) …

in this case, the original equation for f specified the negative square-root …

so you combine the condition c ≤ 0 with your result 0≤|c|≤3 to give …

da-daa! … -3 ≤ c ≤ 0. :smile:

(actually, it would have been a lot quicker, and just as accurate, to say, just by looking, that the square-root of nine-minus-something-positive must be between 0 and 3 :wink:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?