Sketching Graph: Solving (x+y+3)^2 + (x-y-3)^2 = 0

• Thread starter elitewarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discussed how to solve the equation (x+y+3)^2 + (x-y-3)^2 = 0 and found that the only solution is (0,-3), resulting in a single point as the graph. Additionally, it was noted that the two lines x+y+3=0 and x-y-3=0 intersect at this point, providing further confirmation of the solution.
elitewarr

Homework Statement

Sketch (x+y+3)^2 + (x-y-3)^2 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How?? I have totally no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand, simplify and complete the square. Now think about what the solutions are for [itex]a^2+b^2=0[/itex] for all real numbers a and b, and see if you can apply this idea to your problem.

Mentallic said:
Expand, simplify and complete the square. Now think about what the solutions are for [itex]a^2+b^2=0[/itex] for all real numbers a and b, and see if you can apply this idea to your problem.

For that matter, think about [itex]a^2+b^2=0[/itex] before you expand the terms.

LCKurtz said:
For that matter, think about [itex]a^2+b^2=0[/itex] before you expand the terms.

Haha that's a much more effective method :smile:

I tried using this method.
Let a be x, b be y+3
(a+b)^2 + (a-b)^2 = 0
2a^2 + 2b^2 = 0
(x)^2 + (y+3)^2 = 0
But if I bring x^2 over,
(y+3)^2 = -x^2
I doubt there is such curve and if there is, it is undefined isn't it?

thanks for the reply.

You are right, it isn't much of a graph. The left side of your last equation is non-negative and the right side is non-positive. The only way they can be equal is if both sides are zero. Can you find any (x,y) that does that? If so, whatever you find constitutes your graph.

Ok. So, (0,-3) is the only value? Is the graph just a dot?

Thanks.

elitewarr said:
Ok. So, (0,-3) is the only value? Is the graph just a dot?

Thanks.

Yes. Also note that in your original equation:

(x+y+3)2 + (x-y-3)2 = 0

both terms must be zero, so the intersection of the two lines:

x+y+3=0 and x - y - 3 = 0

is the only point which satisfies the equation. This agrees with your answer.

1. What is the purpose of sketching a graph for the equation (x+y+3)^2 + (x-y-3)^2 = 0?

The purpose of sketching a graph for this equation is to visualize the solutions of the equation and to better understand the behavior of the equation.

2. How do I sketch a graph for this equation?

To sketch a graph for this equation, you can plot points by choosing different values for x and y, and then connecting the points to create a curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph.

3. What type of graph will be obtained for this equation?

The graph obtained for this equation will be a point at the origin (0,0) since the equation is equal to 0. This means that there are no real solutions for this equation.

4. Can I use any values for x and y when sketching the graph for this equation?

Yes, you can use any values for x and y when sketching the graph. However, it is recommended to choose values that are easy to graph and that will give a clear understanding of the behavior of the equation.

5. What does the graph of this equation represent?

The graph of this equation represents the points that satisfy the equation (x+y+3)^2 + (x-y-3)^2 = 0. It also represents the behavior of the equation and can help in determining the number of solutions for the equation.