How can I graph cylinders and quadratic surfaces?

In summary, quadratic surfaces are described by equations that are "missing" a variable and are parallel to the axis of the missing variable. To graph these surfaces, plot the given equation in the plane of the two given variables and drag it parallel to the axis of the third variable. Examples of such surfaces include cylinders, parabolic sheets, and hyperbolas depending on the form of the equation. With this understanding, the individual equations (1-6) can be graphed and visualized in three-dimensional space.
Physter
I desperately need some help with sketching cylinders and quadratic surfaces. We did this in first year and I understood it then but now that I look at it, I have no idea where to start. Oh and yes I have been into talk with my ta quite a few times but I still don't quite understand; I'll go bother my prof tomorrow during his office hours too but for now if someone can just guide me with how to graph these monsters, I'd really appreciate it immensely. This is the only chapter I'm having trouble with. Thanks o:)

These are just some practice problems from our textbook that don't have to be handed in so if someone could give an explanation of anyone of these surfaces, it would be great. I could work on the others if I understood at least one. Lol actually I think 5 is the only one that I get :blushing:

1. y^2+4z^2=4
2. z=4-x^2
3. x-y^2=0
4. yz=4
5. z=cosx
6. x^2-y^2=1

So ummm yah, thanks for any help:frown:

Oh and something else, I had another account here but for some reason it doesn't let me post anything anymore? Anybody know why this might be so?

Physics news on Phys.org
quadratic surfaces

In R3, equations of surfaces which are "missing" a variable (i.e., are of the form F(x,y)=0, or F(x,z)=0, or F(y,z)=0,) describe surfaces which are parallel to the axis of the missing variable and are called cylinders. To graph them, just plot the given equation in the plane of the two given variables and "drag" it parallel to the axis of the third variable. Examples of such surfaces are #'s 1,2,3,4,5, and 6, nice. On with it...

1. y^2+4z^2=4, note that this is of the form F(y,z)=0 (and hence the above applies,) rearrange to get

[tex]\left( \frac{y}{2}\right)^2+z^2=1,[/tex] an ellipse in the yz-plane with semi-major axis=2, semi-minor axis=1; plot that and drag it parallel to the x-axis to trace out an elliptic cylinder (curled around the x-axis.)

2. z=4-x^2 is of the form F(x,z)=0 and is a parabola in the xz-plane which opens downwards with its vertex at (0,0,4); drag this parallel to the y-axis to trace out a parabolic sheet looking something like an infinitely wide (and long) towel draped over a dowel 4 units above the y-axis.

3. x-y^2=0, of the form F(x,y)=0 and is a parabola in the xy-plane which opens forwards with its vertex at (0,0,0); drag this parallel to the z-axis to trace out a parabolic sheet which is symmetric about the xz-plane.

4. yz=4 is of the form F(y,z)=0 and is a hyperbola in the yz-plane, drag it parallel to the x-axis...

5. z=cosx, is of the form F(x,z)=0 and is the cosine curve in the xz-plane, dragging it parallel to the y-axis gives a surface that resembles that wavy sheet metal stuff that is sometimes used to as roofing material for cheep wharehouses.

6. x^2-y^2=1, is of the form F(x,y)=0 and is a hyperbola in the...

Ohhhhhhhh yes. I had entirely forgotten about the whole "equations of surfaces which are "missing" a variable describe surfaces which are parallel to the axis of the missing variable" deal. No wonder I had no idea about where in space to actually put my surfaces :blushing: .

Hahahah that makes so much more sense now. I guess I'll go retry some more questions keeping that point in mind. Thanks a lot :wink:

1. What is the definition of a quadratic surface?

A quadratic surface is a three-dimensional shape that can be described by a quadratic equation in three variables. It is a type of quadric surface and includes shapes such as ellipsoids, hyperboloids, and paraboloids.

2. How do you sketch a quadratic surface?

To sketch a quadratic surface, you will need to first identify the type of quadric surface it is (ellipsoid, hyperboloid, or paraboloid) and then use its general equation to plot points on a three-dimensional coordinate system. You can also use technology, such as a graphing calculator, to help visualize the surface.

3. What are the key features of a quadratic surface?

The key features of a quadratic surface include its shape, orientation, and any intercepts it may have with the coordinate axes. These features can be determined by analyzing the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

4. How can I determine the type of quadratic surface from its equation?

The type of quadratic surface can be determined by looking at the signs of the coefficients in the general equation. If the coefficients of all three variables are positive, it is an ellipsoid. If two coefficients are positive and one is negative, it is a hyperboloid. If one coefficient is positive and the other two are negative, it is a paraboloid.

5. What real-world applications involve quadratic surfaces?

Quadratic surfaces have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, the shape of a satellite dish can be described by a paraboloid, and the shape of a water tank can be described by an ellipsoid. Understanding quadratic surfaces also plays a crucial role in solving optimization problems in calculus.