Sketching Regions in ℝ^2: How to Plot a Region with Given Inequalities

• Thread starter Chewybakas
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you did not understand what the problem was about but that was not the point of your post. You wanted help with a specific problem, not a general explanation. And I think that is wrong. The "problem statement" should contain only the problem, not your thoughts about it. The "work you have done" should contain only what you have actually done, not your thoughts about it. Just the facts, ma'am!Yes, I agree with you too. I did a boo-boo.
Chewybakas

Homework Statement

I have to sketch the following region in R^2 but i Have no idea how to do it!

Homework Equations

S1 = {(x; y) εℝ^2 : -2≤x≤4 y,≤2}

The Attempt at a Solution

I plotted the line from -2 to 4 on the x-axis and a line greater then 2 from the y-axis but i am sure i am doing this incorrectly! any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chewybakas said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I plotted the line from -2 to 4 on the x-axis and a line greater then 2 from the y-axis but i am sure i am doing this incorrectly! any help is appreciated!

Start by plotting the equality parts: x = -2, x=4, y = 2, three straight lines. They divide the plane up into several regions. Then, examining each region, shade the ones for which x and y both satisfy the inequalities.

So if i plot those points and draw the lines i get a rectangular shape on my graph is that the correct solution?

Chewybakas said:
So if i plot those points and draw the lines i get a rectangular shape on my graph is that the correct solution?

Hard to say without seeing it. Describe where you have shaded.

I have a graph with an x and y axis, the points drawn in and lines from each point, where the line y=2 intersects the x points i shade in the rectangular shape. If I am wrong could you please tell me what to do!

Chewybakas said:
I have a graph with an x and y axis, the points drawn in and lines from each point, where the line y=2 intersects the x points i shade in the rectangular shape. If I am wrong could you please tell me what to do!
This is not a useful description. The region is unbounded in one direction. It is bounded on three sides by straight lines. A better description would tell us what the three boundary lines are and maybe what the points at the corners are.

Chewybakas said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-2≤x≤4. Draw two vertical lines at x= -2 and at x= 4 so that the "line from -2 to 4 on the x axis" is inside them. I don't know what you mean by "a line greater than 2 from the y-axis". y≤2 is all y less than or equal to 2 so draw a horizontal line at y= 2 crossing those two vertical lines. The region you want to shade is the area below that horizontal line and between the two vertical lines. Because there is no lower limit on y, there is no lower boundary- the region you want is the "infinite strip" between the vertical lines and below the horizontal line.

Ahh that's where i was going wrong! I was using the x-axis itself as a boundary! I have no idea why! Thank you for clearing that up! But in this question i have no figures.

{(x; y) εℝ^2 : x≤y}
Is that just the x and y axis! thank you for all your help!

Chewybakas said:
Ahh that's where i was going wrong! I was using the x-axis itself as a boundary! I have no idea why! Thank you for clearing that up! But in this question i have no figures.

{(x; y) εℝ^2 : x≤y}
Is that just the x and y axis! thank you for all your help!

No. Start by graphing the line x = y. This line divides the plane into two regions. The region you want is one of them, including the boundary line.

To determine which half plane is the right one, pick a point not on the line and see if it satisifies x ≤ y.

Ah y=x will give me a 45° line through the origin?

HallsofIvy said:
-2≤x≤4. Draw two vertical lines at x= -2 and at x= 4 so that the "line from -2 to 4 on the x axis" is inside them. I don't know what you mean by "a line greater than 2 from the y-axis". y≤2 is all y less than or equal to 2 so draw a horizontal line at y= 2 crossing those two vertical lines. The region you want to shade is the area below that horizontal line and between the two vertical lines. Because there is no lower limit on y, there is no lower boundary- the region you want is the "infinite strip" between the vertical lines and below the horizontal line.

Doesn't that count as "working the problem for them"?

I was in desperate need of help, I was obviously getting it horribly wrong. He just helped me out greatly and i can't thank him enough for it!

No, I agree with the others. I should have stopped at
"Draw two vertical lines at x= -2 and at x= 4 so that the "line from -2 to 4 on the x axis" is inside them. I don't know what you mean by "a line greater than 2 from the y-axis". y≤2 is all y less than or equal to 2 so draw a horizontal line at y= 2 crossing those two vertical lines."

And perhaps that is a little too much. Just noting that the lines are vertical and horizontal should have been enough.

1. What is the purpose of sketching regions in ℝ^2?

The purpose of sketching regions in ℝ^2 is to visually represent mathematical concepts and equations. This can help with understanding and solving problems involving functions, inequalities, and geometric shapes.

2. How do I determine the boundaries of a region in ℝ^2?

The boundaries of a region in ℝ^2 can be determined by solving the equations or inequalities that define the region. This can involve finding the intersection points of lines or curves, or determining where a function changes from positive to negative or vice versa.

3. What is the difference between a closed and an open region in ℝ^2?

A closed region in ℝ^2 includes its boundary points, while an open region does not. In other words, a closed region includes the lines or curves that define it, while an open region does not include those lines or curves.

4. How do I shade a region in ℝ^2?

To shade a region in ℝ^2, first determine the boundaries of the region. Then, shade in the area within those boundaries. If the region is closed, include the boundary lines in the shading. If the region is open, do not include the boundary lines in the shading.

5. Can a region in ℝ^2 be infinite in size?

Yes, a region in ℝ^2 can be infinite in size. This can occur when the boundaries of the region are defined by equations or inequalities that do not have a finite endpoint. For example, the region defined by the inequality y > 0 would be infinite in size.