Sketching the change in a cube's volume

In summary, the conversation discusses how the volume V of a cube increases by an amount \Delta V when the length of its edges increases by \Delta x. This can be represented geometrically as the sum of volumes of three slabs, three bars, and one cube. The differential formula dV=3x^2*dx estimates the change in V with three slabs. The speaker also mentions that the rest (three bars and a cube) may account for the error in the estimate.
wisredz
Hi all,
I've come by an interesting while studying. Here it goes

The volume [itex]V=x^3[/itex] of a cube of with edges of length x increases by an amount [itex]\Delta V[/itex] when x increases by an amount [itex]\Delta x [/itex]. Show with a sketch how to represent [itex]\Delta V[/itex] geometrically as the some of the volumes of

(a) Three slabs of dimensions x by x by [itex]\Delta x [/itex]
(b) Three bars of dimensions x by [itex]\Delta x [/itex] by [itex]\Delta x [/itex]
(c) One cube of dimensions [itex]\Delta x [/itex] by [itex]\Delta x [/itex] by [itex]\Delta x [/itex]

The differential formula [itex]dV=3x^2*dx[/itex] estimates the change in V with three slabs.

Well that is kinda interesting right? Why is it so? I think the rest (3 bars and a cube) is the error in the estimate. It it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's true and I agree that it is interesting!

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct. The rest of the components (3 bars and 1 cube) represent the error in the estimate for the change in volume. This is because the differential formula dV=3x^2*dx is an approximation and not an exact measurement. By adding the extra components, we are accounting for any potential errors in the estimate.

To better understand this concept, let's take a look at the sketch. As we can see, the original cube has a volume of x^3. When we increase the length of one of the edges by \Delta x, the resulting cube has a volume of (x+\Delta x)^3. This increase in volume can be divided into three different components - the three slabs, three bars, and one cube.

The first component is the three slabs, each with dimensions of x by x by \Delta x. These slabs represent the change in volume due to the increase in length of one edge. The second component is the three bars, each with dimensions of x by \Delta x by \Delta x. These bars represent the change in volume due to the increase in length of two edges. Lastly, the third component is the one cube with dimensions of \Delta x by \Delta x by \Delta x. This cube represents the change in volume due to the increase in length of all three edges.

So, by adding these three components together, we are accounting for any potential errors in the estimate dV=3x^2*dx. This is why the differential formula is often represented as an approximation, as it does not take into account the potential errors in measurement.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work with your studies!

1. Why is it important to sketch the change in a cube's volume?

Sketching the change in a cube's volume allows us to visualize and understand how the volume of a cube changes as its dimensions change. This can be helpful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and mathematics.

2. How can I sketch the change in a cube's volume?

To sketch the change in a cube's volume, you can use graph paper and plot the volume on the y-axis and the dimensions on the x-axis. You can also use a 3D graphing calculator to create a visual representation of the change in volume.

3. What factors affect the change in a cube's volume?

The dimensions of the cube, specifically its length, width, and height, are the main factors that affect the change in its volume. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and material composition can also affect the volume of a cube.

4. How do I calculate the change in a cube's volume?

To calculate the change in a cube's volume, you can use the formula V = l * w * h, where V is the volume, l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. You can then plug in different values for the dimensions to see how the volume changes.

5. What can I learn from sketching the change in a cube's volume?

By sketching the change in a cube's volume, you can learn how the volume of a cube is affected by changes in its dimensions. You can also learn about the relationship between volume and dimensions, and use this information to make predictions and solve problems in real-world scenarios.