tensor0910
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
Sketch the curve z = x2 + 2y2

Homework Equations

None[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]The easiest thing to do is to sketch the traces at x, y and z = 0. I'm 95% sure its an elliptic paraboloid, but the 2 in front of the Y is really throwing me off. Should we divide everything by 2 and have an ellipse with a radius of √2 and 1? If thats the case then when we set Y to 0 ( for example ) we get z = 2x2 and were right back where we started....Im kinda lost here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
For a given ## z=z_o ## in a plane parallel to the x-y plane we have ## z_o=x^2+2y^2 ## which, can be put in the standard form on ellipse with ## \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 ##. What is ## a ## and ## b ## for this case? ## \\ ## The case where you looked at the plane ## y=0 ## is correct, in that going upward in ## z ##, a cross section of this thing is a parabola. The cross section through any plane ## Ax+By=0 ## , will give a parabola of the form ## z=C (x')^2 ## where ## x' ## is the coordinate along this plane perpendicular to ## z##.

Last edited:
I'm 95% sure its an elliptic paraboloid, but the 2 in front of the Y is really throwing me off. Should we divide everything by 2 and have an ellipse with a radius of √2 and 1?
The coefficient of 2 on the y2 term is why this surface is an elliptic paraboloid. If that coefficient had been 1, all the horizontal sections would have been circular. All of the horizontal cross-sections (i.e., in planes parallel to the x-y plane) are ellipses, except for when both x and y are zero.

Sketching traces is a good start, but you should also include cross sections or level curves for various values of z.

For example, when z = 0, you get a single point. When z= 1, the cross section is the ellipse ##x^2 + 2y^2 = 1##. The same thinkiing applies for other values of ##z \ge 0##.

Edit: Cross-sections are especially helpful when you have the sum of squares of two of the variables (cross sections are circles) or expressions like ##ax^2 + by^2## (elliptical cross sections). This advice applies not just for expressions involving x and y, but any two of the variables.

Last edited:
Likes tensor0910 and Charles Link
tensor0910
Gold Member
I'm starting to get it.

I was doubting my answers b/c I was having trouble visualizing the sketch ( a huge weakness of mine ). I thought that an elliptic paraboloid would make
perfect parabolas on the yz and xz plane, but if that were the case the sketch would turn into a circle. I'm back on track now. Thanks for the help!

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
They make "perfect" parabolas on the yz and xz plane, but they are not identical parabolas. The parabola on the yz plane is ## z=2y^2 ##, and the parabola on the xz plane is ## z=x^2 ##.