How to Sketch Electric Fields Around a Charge Distribution?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three negatively charged spheres forming an equilateral triangle and the request for help in sketching the electric field in the region around them. The person asking for help provides their personal e-mail address and clarifies that it is not for homework but for self-study. The expert advises against sharing personal information on internet forums and explains the concept of electrical field lines being attracted to negatively charged sources.
soccerdude28
If anyone would like a go at this problem, they can just attach a paint file or something or send it to my e-mail:

Heres the problem:
9. Three small, negatively charged spheres are located at the vertical of an equilateral triangle. If the magnitudes of the charges are equal, sketch the electric field in the region around this charge distribution, including the space inside the triangle.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
soccerdude28 said:
If anyone would like a go at this problem, they can just attach a paint file or something or send it to my e-mail:
<personal e-mail address removed>

Heres the problem:
9. Three small, negatively charged spheres are located at the vertical of an equilateral triangle. If the magnitudes of the charges are equal, sketch the electric field in the region around this charge distribution, including the space inside the triangle.

Any help will be appreciated.
That's not the way it works here: we'll help you with your homework, but we won't do it for you.

It's also not a good idea to post your personal e-mail address on internet forums.

Hootenanny said:
That's not the way it works here: we'll help you with your homework, but we won't do it for you.

It's also not a good idea to post your personal e-mail address on internet forums.

This is not homework. This is going through a textbook for an exam i have at the end of the year. Its basically teach yourself and i don't have a teacher to ask and i don't know where to start with this problem.. All i know is that the electrical field lines are driven away from positively charged source charges and toward negatively charged source charges. Now i don't know where to begin because all of the fields would be drawn going inwards towards the negaively charged spheres. Would they ever touch, i don't know? I am just confused all together.

What is sketching the electric fields?

Sketching the electric fields is a method used in physics to visually represent the direction and strength of the electric field around a charged object or system. It involves drawing arrows or lines to indicate the direction and magnitude of the electric field at various points in space.

Why is sketching the electric fields important?

Sketching the electric fields allows us to understand and visualize the behavior of electric fields, which are present in many natural and artificial systems. It helps us to analyze and predict the movement of charged particles and the resulting electric forces.

What factors affect the shape of the electric fields?

The shape of the electric fields is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charges, as well as the presence of conductors or insulators in the surrounding space. The distance between charges and the dielectric constant of the medium also play a role.

How can I sketch the electric fields accurately?

To sketch the electric fields accurately, you will need to know the positions and magnitudes of the charges involved, as well as the dielectric constant of the medium. It is also important to use a scale that reflects the relative strengths of the electric fields.

Can I use sketching the electric fields in real-life applications?

Yes, sketching the electric fields is used in various real-life applications such as designing electronic circuits, analyzing the behavior of lightning strikes, and predicting the behavior of electric fields in everyday objects like batteries and household appliances.