1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching the solution to the IVP (Characteristic curves)

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1

Leb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the solution to the IVP
    [itex]u_{t}+uu_{x}=0 \\ u(x,0) = e^{-x^{2}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Monge's equations [itex]\frac{dt}{d\tau} = 1 \\ \frac{dx}{d\tau}=u \\ \frac{du}{d\tau}=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I do not really need the Monge's equation, but I have no idea, how to sketch the wave profile. Could someone please explain it to me step by step ?
    P.S.
    I also got stuck on solving the Monge's equations. Particularly in the part where [itex]dx=u(x,t)d\tau[/itex] I tried taking [itex]t_{0} = 0[/itex] which gave me [itex]t=\tau[/itex] and also taking [itex]u(x,t)=u_{0}=F({\sigma})=const.[/itex] which makes it independent of t. Pluging it back in [itex]dx=u_{0}dt --> x = u_{0}t + x_{0}[/itex] where [itex]x_{0} =x'*u_{0}=const. [/itex] Then I blindly assume [itex]x_(0) = \sigma[/itex] which then gives me that the Characteristic Curves should be of the form [itex]x=u_{0}t+\sigma[/itex]. Now, since we are given that at t=0 [itex]u(x,0)=e^{-x^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]u(x,0)=u_{0}(\sigma)=e^{-\sigma^{2}}[/itex]. So from this, I naively deduce, that each characteristic passes through [itex](\sigma,0)[/itex] with gradient [itex]e^{\sigma^{2}}[/itex]. Can someone point out which assumptions/steps are wrong ? Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?