Sketching the solution to the IVP (Characteristic curves)

In summary, to sketch the solution to the IVP, we can use the method of characteristics to find the characteristic curves and plot them on the x-t plane. The solution to the IVP will be the region above the initial condition line bounded by these characteristic curves.
Leb

Homework Statement

Sketch the solution to the IVP
[itex]u_{t}+uu_{x}=0 \\ u(x,0) = e^{-x^{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Monge's equations [itex]\frac{dt}{d\tau} = 1 \\ \frac{dx}{d\tau}=u \\ \frac{du}{d\tau}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I do not really need the Monge's equation, but I have no idea, how to sketch the wave profile. Could someone please explain it to me step by step ?
P.S.
I also got stuck on solving the Monge's equations. Particularly in the part where [itex]dx=u(x,t)d\tau[/itex] I tried taking [itex]t_{0} = 0[/itex] which gave me [itex]t=\tau[/itex] and also taking [itex]u(x,t)=u_{0}=F({\sigma})=const.[/itex] which makes it independent of t. Pluging it back in [itex]dx=u_{0}dt --> x = u_{0}t + x_{0}[/itex] where [itex]x_{0} =x'*u_{0}=const. [/itex] Then I blindly assume [itex]x_(0) = \sigma[/itex] which then gives me that the Characteristic Curves should be of the form [itex]x=u_{0}t+\sigma[/itex]. Now, since we are given that at t=0 [itex]u(x,0)=e^{-x^{2}}[/itex] and [itex]u(x,0)=u_{0}(\sigma)=e^{-\sigma^{2}}[/itex]. So from this, I naively deduce, that each characteristic passes through [itex](\sigma,0)[/itex] with gradient [itex]e^{\sigma^{2}}[/itex]. Can someone point out which assumptions/steps are wrong ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
To sketch the solution to the IVP, we can use the method of characteristics. This involves finding the characteristic curves which are given by the equations:
\frac{dt}{d\tau} = 1 \\ \frac{dx}{d\tau}=u \\ \frac{du}{d\tau}=0
From the initial condition, we know that at t=0, u(x,0)=e^{-x^{2}}. This means that at the point (x,0) on the x-axis, the value of u is e^{-x^{2}}. Therefore, the characteristic curve passing through this point has a slope of e^{-x^{2}}. This gives us the equation:
\frac{dx}{dt} = e^{-x^{2}}
This is a separable differential equation that can be solved using integration. After solving for x, we get the equation for the characteristic curve:
x = ln(t+C)
where C is a constant of integration.
To sketch the solution, we can plot several characteristic curves on the x-t plane, with each curve having a different value of C. This will give us a family of curves that represent the solution to the IVP. Additionally, we can plot the initial condition u(x,0)=e^{-x^{2}} on the x-t plane, which will be a horizontal line at y=e^{-x^{2}}. The solution to the IVP will be the region above this line bounded by the characteristic curves. This can be seen in the attached graph.

As for your attempt at solving the Monge's equations, it seems like you are on the right track. However, the assumption x_0=\sigma is not necessary and may lead to incorrect results. Instead, you can use the initial condition u(x,0)=e^{-x^{2}} to determine the value of C in the characteristic curve equation, giving you the equation x=ln(t+e^{-x^{2}}). This will give you the same family of curves as described above.

1. What is an IVP in the context of sketching the solution to characteristic curves?

An IVP, or initial value problem, is a mathematical model that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. In the context of sketching the solution to characteristic curves, an IVP helps determine the specific path or curve that satisfies the given differential equation and initial conditions.

2. How is an IVP used to sketch the solution to characteristic curves?

An IVP provides the necessary information to determine the specific solution to a given differential equation, which can then be used to sketch the characteristic curves. The initial conditions in the IVP determine the starting point for the characteristic curves, and the differential equation provides the slope or direction of the curves at any given point.

3. What are characteristic curves and why are they important in solving an IVP?

Characteristic curves are the paths or trajectories that satisfy a given differential equation. They are important in solving an IVP because they help visualize the solution and provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of the system being modeled. They also help determine the existence and uniqueness of the solution to an IVP.

4. Can any differential equation be solved using characteristic curves and an IVP?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using characteristic curves and an IVP. This method is most commonly used for first-order ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and certain types of partial differential equations (PDEs). Other methods, such as separation of variables, may be more suitable for solving other types of differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using characteristic curves and an IVP to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are some limitations and challenges when using characteristic curves and an IVP to solve a differential equation. One limitation is that this method may not work for all types of differential equations, as mentioned before. Additionally, it may be difficult to determine the initial conditions accurately, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. It also requires a good understanding of differential equations and their behavior, which can be challenging for some.