Sketching the Graph: Seeking Help & Solutions

• Thread starter aurao2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch a named graph, specifically determining the horizontal and vertical asymptotes. The rule for determining the horizontal asymptote is mentioned, along with suggestions for solving this type of problem. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how to show the existence of an asymptote at y=1 for the given graph.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi

I am trying to understand how to sketch the above named graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained the vertical asymptote as x = -2 but not sure of the horizontal asymptote. Examining the graph as x tends to infinty, it seems the horizontal asymptote is 1. But I am stuck at this stage. Any help or suggestions? I am not sure of the shape of the graph also. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1: What's the rule for determining the horizontal asymptote when the highest power of x on the bottom is the same as that on the top? This will help you learn WHY there is a horizontal asymptote at y=1. You MUST say it is at y=1, just saying 1 would be counted wrong on a test or quiz.

2: Make dotted or slashed lines for the horizontal and vertical asymptote.

3: Determine whether it goes to plus or minus infinity. Do for both sides of vertical asymptote.

4: Pick a point, on both sides, that will be easy to go through, such as x = -3 and x = -1, since it will be a nice integer point.

5: Do your best, remember to go through those points, as they help you stay on track and remember which side goes which way. Also, remember that the farther away from the vertical asymptote, the closer you get to the horizontal asymptote.

This is just to give you an idea of how to solve this type of problem, It's by no means all inclusive.

Last edited:
TylerH said:
1: What's the rule for determining the horizontal asymptote when the highest power of x on the bottom is the same as that on the top? This will help you learn WHY there is a horizontal asymptote at y=1. You MUST say it is at y=1, just saying 1 would be counted wrong on a test or quiz.

2: Make dotted or slashed lines for the horizontal and vertical asymptote.

3: Determine whether it goes to plus or minus infinity. Do for both sides of vertical asymptote.

4: Pick a point, on both sides, that will be easy to go through, such as x = -3 and x = -1, since it will be a nice integer point.

5: Do your best, remember to go through those points, as they help you stay on track and remember which side goes which way. Also, remember that the farther away from the vertical asymptote, the closer you get to the horizontal asymptote.

This is just to give you an idea of how to solve this type of problem, It's by no means all inclusive.
Well, thanks. I am studying independently. So, the only test is the exam or by myself. I am not sure about the rule. Kindly tell me. Thanks.

Right, no wonder I was scratching my head thinking why there is so much discussion on this question. It's actually x/(x+2), not x/x+2=1+2 :biggrin:

Mentallic said:
Right, no wonder I was scratching my head thinking why there is so much discussion on this question. It's actually x/(x+2), not x/x+2=1+2 :biggrin:
One of those days?:tongue2:

aurao2003 said:
One of those days?:tongue2:

Pretty much :cry:

By the way, to show there is an asymptote at y=1, you can try this -

[tex]y=\frac{x}{x+2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{x+2-2}{x+2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{x+2}{x+2}-\frac{2}{x+2}[/tex]

[tex]=1-\frac{2}{x+2}[/tex]

Now all you need to do is take the limit as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex] and show this leaves y=1. So then there is an asymptote there.

edit: or even more simply, multiply the fraction by [tex]1=\frac{\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}{\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}[/tex] and then again take the limit as [itex]x\to \infty[/itex] :wink:

Mentallic said:
Pretty much :cry:

By the way, to show there is an asymptote at y=1, you can try this -

[tex]y=\frac{x}{x+2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{x+2-2}{x+2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{x+2}{x+2}-\frac{2}{x+2}[/tex]

[tex]=1-\frac{2}{x+2}[/tex]

Now all you need to do is take the limit as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex] and show this leaves y=1. So then there is an asymptote there.

edit: or even more simply, multiply the fraction by [tex]1=\frac{\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}{\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}[/tex] and then again take the limit as [itex]x\to \infty[/itex] :wink:

Cool! Thanks.

1. How do I sketch the graph of a given function?

To sketch the graph of a function, you need to first analyze the function and identify key features such as the domain, range, intercepts, and symmetry. Then, you can plot points by choosing input values and calculating the corresponding output values. Finally, connect the points to create a smooth curve or line.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching a graph?

Some common mistakes to avoid when sketching a graph include not correctly identifying the domain and range, not plotting enough points, and not accurately representing the shape of the graph. It is also important to label the axes and provide a clear and concise title for the graph.

3. How can I use technology to help me sketch a graph?

There are many online graphing calculators and software programs available that can quickly and accurately graph a given function. These tools can also help with identifying key features, such as intercepts and asymptotes, and can provide a visual representation of the graph.

4. What are some strategies to use when sketching a complex graph?

When sketching a complex graph, it can be helpful to break the function into smaller parts and sketch each part individually. This can make it easier to visualize the overall graph and identify key features. It is also important to use a variety of input values when plotting points to get a more accurate representation of the graph.

5. How can I check if my sketch of a graph is correct?

You can check if your sketch of a graph is correct by using a graphing calculator or software program to graph the function and compare it to your sketch. You can also check if your graph satisfies all the key features of the function, such as the domain, range, and intercepts. Additionally, you can ask a peer or teacher to review your sketch and provide feedback.