Sketchup pro or Autocad at k-12

In summary, the conversation is about using SketchUp Pro 2015 as the primary CAD software for K-12 students, and whether it is sufficient for preparing them for university programs or technical schools. There is a discussion about the benefits of SketchUp compared to AutoCAD, and opinions are shared on whether SketchUp would be adequate for secondary school students. There is also a suggestion to consider using Solid Edge as an alternative, and the importance of preparing students for the workforce is mentioned. One engineer shares their opinion that AutoCAD may be necessary for certain job opportunities.
jtkpainter
I am a k-12 digital integration teacher/ technology director. Looking for validation to use sketchup pro 2015 as the primary CAD software for 9-12. Is sketchup sufficient to teach/train students who graduate high school and go to university programs or technical schools or do we need to use AutoCad? My feeling is SketchUp seems like it does a great job time-to-product and it gets the concepts and fundamentals in place. By the time they get to college if they want to step up they can learn the CAD software used there (or on the job). I may be off base here. I would like validation either way.

Science news on Phys.org
For K-12, Sketchup Pro would be fantastic. AutoCAD would very likely be overkill (and steeper learning curve) and twice the price. Depending on your class, even "SketchUp Make" (which is recommended for secondary school) might be adequate.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
For K-12, Sketchup Pro would be fantastic. AutoCAD would very likely be overkill (and steeper learning curve) and twice the price. Depending on your class, even "SketchUp Make" (which is recommended for secondary school) might be adequate.
Thanks Greg! What field are you in? What is your profession? Are you an engineer?

jtkpainter said:
Thanks Greg! What field are you in? What is your profession? Are you an engineer?
I'm a web designer, but I've used both Sketchup and AutoCAD. I will tag a few of our best engineers to get their opinions. @Baluncore @berkeman @PhanthomJay

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm a web designer, but I've used both Sketchup and AutoCAD. I will tag a few of our best engineers to get their opinions. @Baluncore @berkeman @PhanthomJay
Thanks! Greg!

I'm not familiar with the Sketchup package. Does it support 3-D designs? That is becoming more important now with the costs of using 3-D printers coming down so much. The kids will have a lot more fun if they can print up some of their projects, IMO. :smile:

berkeman said:
I'm not familiar with the Sketchup package. Does it support 3-D designs? That is becoming more important now with the costs of using 3-D printers coming down so much. The kids will have a lot more fun if they can print up some of their projects, IMO. :smile:
Yes, we are starting a class that is CADD to CAM
(Computer Aided Drafting and Design to Computer Aided Manufacturing)

We will use makerbot 3d printers!

Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Have you looked at using Solid Edge?
We used that in our first year CAD course. Found it was fairly easy to use.
When I later had to use AutoCAD there were enough similarities didn't have too much problems learning it.

Pretty sure there is an academic program for it as well, so might be able to get it relatively cost free :)

While sketchup would be fine for students going onto college ie they won't hit the work force in another few years, 9-12 indicates you may have some students you want to prepare to land drafting and design jobs right out of school. The best way to do that is to give them AutoCAD so they can land that good job right out of High School if its available. There is no other reason to hire or train a High School graduate unless he has a skill that makes him more desirable over the Tech school graduate.

Is this short sighted? Yes, but many High school students may need a year or two in the real world work force before they move on to higher education. But you will give the tools to land a job in a technology firm vs sketchup might not be considered good enough.

My company (and all the design firms I have worked with) uses AutoCAD. Sketchup may be fine, but it wouldn't get you in the door here, unless you also knew enough AutoCAD to pass our qualifications test.

Just my opinion as an engineer at a mid sized engineering company.

Likes jtkpainter

What is the difference between Sketchup Pro and Autocad at k-12?

Sketchup Pro and Autocad are both computer-aided design (CAD) software programs commonly used in the K-12 education setting. The main difference between the two is the level of complexity and functionality. Sketchup Pro is a more user-friendly and intuitive program, making it a great choice for beginners or younger students. Autocad, on the other hand, is a more advanced and professional program with a steeper learning curve. It offers more features and tools, making it better suited for high school students or those pursuing a career in design or engineering.

Can Sketchup Pro and Autocad be used for the same purposes in a K-12 setting?

Yes, both Sketchup Pro and Autocad can be used for similar purposes in a K-12 setting. Both programs allow users to create 2D and 3D designs, including architectural, mechanical, and electrical drawings. However, Autocad is more advanced and offers a wider range of tools and features, making it better suited for complex and professional designs.

Are there any age restrictions for using Sketchup Pro or Autocad in K-12 education?

No, there are no age restrictions for using Sketchup Pro or Autocad in K-12 education. However, due to the complexity of Autocad, it may be more suitable for older students or those with prior experience in CAD software.

Can Sketchup Pro and Autocad be integrated into the K-12 curriculum?

Yes, Sketchup Pro and Autocad can be integrated into the K-12 curriculum. Many schools use these programs in their art, design, and technology classes to teach students about 3D modeling and design. They can also be incorporated into other subjects such as math and science to help students visualize and understand concepts.

Is it necessary to have prior experience in CAD software to use Sketchup Pro or Autocad in K-12 education?

No, prior experience in CAD software is not necessary to use Sketchup Pro or Autocad in K-12 education. Both programs have user-friendly interfaces and offer tutorials and resources for beginners. However, students with prior experience may have an easier time navigating and using the programs.