Can a vector be perpendicular to both skew lines?

In summary, It is possible to find a point A and B in L1 and L2 that are not on the same plane, and AB is perpendicular to both lines.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Suppose L1 and L2 are skew lines. Is it possible for a non-zero vector to be perpendicular to both L1 and L2? Give reasons for your answers.

Homework Equations

I know that skew lines are not parallel or intersect. Also, they don't lie on the same plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I say that it is possible.
Picture a line on the x-axis on (x,0,0) and a line on the y-axis exactly above the previous line but with height or z=5.
I can easily draw a vector that is perpendicular to both L1 and L2.

Am I correct?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    158.3 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
yes you are correct
suppose you have the equations of two skew lines, you can always deduce the equation of the line passing through and perpendicular to them.

How?

Given [tex]
\begin{array}{l}
(l_1 ):r = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{a_1 } \\
{a_2 } \\
{a_3 } \\
\end{array}} \right) + t_1 \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{b_1 } \\
{b_2 } \\
{b_3 } \\
\end{array}} \right) \\
(l_2 ):r = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{a^' _1 } \\
{a^' _2 } \\
{a^' _3 } \\
\end{array}} \right) + t_2 \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{b^' _1 } \\
{b^' _2 } \\
{b^' _3 } \\
\end{array}} \right) \\
\end{array}[/tex]
Let A, B be 2 arbitrary points lying on (l1) and (l2) respectively, then write the position vector of them.
Write the equation of [tex]
\overrightarrow {AB}[/tex]
Since AB is perpendicular to (l1) and (l2): [tex]
\overrightarrow {AB} .\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{b_1 } \\
{b_2 } \\
{b_3 } \\
\end{array}} \right) = 0
[/tex]
and [tex]
\overrightarrow {AB} .\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{b^' _1 } \\
{b^' _2 } \\
{b^' _3 } \\
\end{array}} \right) = 0
[/tex]
Solving the equations simultaneously, you'll find t1 and t2, which are later be used to compute the coordinates of A and B. The vector [tex]
\overrightarrow {AB}[/tex] is what you're after.

What reasons can I give to my answer?
I know that it can be done, because it's geometrically possible to picture. But, how do I put it into academic words that can be considered a correct answer?

Also, I know how to find a point A and B in L1 and L2. It's just giving an arbitrary value to their parameters. In addition, I know how to find the segment uniting points AB perpendicular to both lines.
But, how do I solve the equations simultaneously?
Do you mean:
a1+(b1)t=a1'(b1')s
a2+(b2)t=a2'(b2')s
a3+(b3)t=a3'(b3')s

and then find "t" and "s"? How do I later find the coordinates of AB?

knowLittle said:
It's just giving an arbitrary value to their parameters.
It's not. You are supposed to write down the position vectors of them in terms of t1 and t2. Then you'll have 2 equations of 2 unknowns (t1 and t2), which is solvable. Finding the coordinates is just a matter of substitution now.

For example, given (l): r=(1 2 3) + t(3 2 1). For every point M lying on (l), its coordinate is of the form (1+3t, 2+2t, 3+t).

What are skew lines?

Skew lines are two lines in three-dimensional space that are not parallel and do not intersect. They are also known as non-coplanar lines.

How can you tell if two lines are skew?

If two lines are skew, they will not lie in the same plane and will never intersect. You can also determine if two lines are skew by calculating the angle between them. If the angle between the two lines is not 0 or 180 degrees, then they are skew.

Can skew lines be parallel?

No, skew lines cannot be parallel. Parallel lines lie in the same plane and never intersect, whereas skew lines do not lie in the same plane and never intersect.

What is the shortest distance between two skew lines?

The shortest distance between two skew lines can be found by constructing a perpendicular line from one line to the other. This distance is also known as the minimum distance between the two lines.

Can skew lines be coplanar?

No, skew lines cannot be coplanar. Coplanar lines lie in the same plane and skew lines do not. Skew lines are always non-coplanar.