1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ski Jumper Physics

1. Jul 9, 2007 #1
    A ski jumper travels down a slope and launches at a horizontal speed of 25m/s. The landing incline slopes off at 33 degrees.

How long is the jumper airborne?

Vx = 25m/s

horizontal motion d=Vt
    Vertical Motion, d=v1t + 1/2at2, v1 = 0 as initial vertical speed is 0 off the launch

I am not sure how to approach this problem. Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so your equations give you the vertical and horizontal distances (dx,dy) as a function of time from the launch point (0,0). So the jumper will land when intersecting the line with a slope corresponding to 33 degrees through (0,0). So what is dy/dx? Can you solve that expression for t?
  4. Jul 9, 2007 #3
    Ok excellent. That was my starting point as well. My major confusion was it the Vy/Vx that is equivalent to the slope, or is it the Dy/Dx that is equivalent to the slope. After this I am just setting Tan33=Dy/Dx or Vy/Vx and solve for t afterwards.

Can I ask why is it Dy/Dx and not Vy/Vx that is equal to slope?

Thanks for the help!
  5. Jul 9, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The jumper hits the slope when his position intersects the line. So it's the ratio of distances. If Vy/Vx equals the slope, that just means the jumper is moving parallel to the landing incline, which he probably won't be when he actually hits it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?