1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ski Jumper Physics

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    I think I have the first part of the problem but am not sure on the second part, I'm probably thinking too hard - the simplest answer is probably the correct one, but I just want to make sure.

A ski jumper travels down in a slope and leaves the ski track moving in the horizontal direction with a speed of 25m/s. The landing incline below her falls off with a slope of 35 degrees.
    a)Where does the ski jumper land on the incline?
    b)How long is the ski jumper airborne?

I worked out the x and y components of the distance fallen, and found an x component of landing 89.3m downrange, which is 109m distance along the landing slope.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use [itex] h = \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex] to find the time, where h is the vertical distance from the point of take-off to the point of landing.

Here is an interesting question: what is the shape of the curve that would result in the skier reaching the takeoff point in the minimum time? (Don't work it out - it is rather complicated. Try finding it on the internet).

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    Ski Jump Physics, please check answer

I think I finally figured it out. I found the height using v0sin35 = 14.34m
    Then using h=1/2gt^2 I determined that the time airborne was 2.93 seconds.

Could anyone please verify that I have done this correctly?

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In my response, I had assumed that you already had worked out the horizontal distance in part a). But I see that you have to find the time first. I get a little longer time than 2.93 sec.:

[tex]\frac{d_y}{d_x} = -tan(35)[/tex]

[tex]d_x = v_xt[/tex] and

[tex]d_y = -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

So: [tex]\frac{d_y}{d_x} = -\frac{gt^2}{2v_xt} = -tan(35)[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{2tan(35)v_x}{g} = 2*.700*25/9.8 = 3.57 sec[/tex]

[tex]d_y = -.5 * 9.8 * (3.57)^2 = -62.45 m.[/tex]

And to check:

[tex]\frac{d_y}{d_x} = -62.45/25*3.57 = -.70 = -tan(35)[/tex]

6. Mar 3, 2005 #5
    Thanks I think I've got it now, but I'm starting to wonder if I did the first part correctly! I will have to look at it again.
  7. Mar 12, 2010 #6
    I belive that to set up this problem the easiest you would use a rotated coordinate system that lies along the slope instead of one that lies along the horizontal. If you use a non-rotated system like described above then you can't simply just use h=(1/2)gt^2 because you don't know what your fall height is. If you use a rotated system then you can find your x and y accelerations. Then integrate two times to get your x(t) and y(t) parametric functions. Then set y(t)=0 and you will get the time value. Last plug that value into your x(t) to find how far down the slope the skier landed. I did some quick calculations and got the follwoing:
  8. Mar 12, 2010 #7
    Just did a check and it turns out i had an error in one of my angles. My results now match Andrews with a time of 3.57s. I got my x value to be 109m.
  9. Sep 18, 2011 #8
    i got this problem, and i can't solve too. O saw the solution but i forgot :X
  10. Sep 18, 2011 #9
    omg is 62m the book is wrong:P
  11. Sep 18, 2011 #10

Staff: Mentor

3.57secs, 109m down the slope
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?