1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ski Lift

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1
    I'm planning on building a small ski lift for my kids. It's been 20 years since I've taken a physics class so I'm lucky to remember what gravity is. :blushing:
    Here's a poor image of the hill. I would like to know the following:

A) how much lbs of tension is against the lift wire?
    B) how heavy should the counter weights (D&E) be so they don't rip out of the ground?

Facts and Assumptions
    C) distance between towers A&B and B&C are 200' each
    D) Elevation between towers A&B is 60', B&C is 40'
    E) Would like to be able to lift a total of 4 people at a time...assume 175 lbs/person
    F) Not as important...lift wire weight is 300 lbs total

Feel free to assume anything else that's missing. I'm basically looking for some formulas I can use to play with the numbers.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hmmmm. Looks like something I'd like to get a PE (licensed professional engineer) design for me. Even if you way overbuild it, you'll want to think about the liability ramifications. Not to discourage you. I just think that a project like this deserves a professional design. Plus, there are probably already industry-standard guidelines for things like ski lifts, and an appropriate PE will be familiar with them. Now a tow rope, that you could do on your own....

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    I am well aware of my legal liabilities. This is not a lift where people would get lifted off the ground, but more of a rope toe with a pull rope hanging from the main line. (The hump in the middle of the hill makes it impossible to put in a rope toe) If you could point me in the right direction for some colculations, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

5. May 27, 2010 #4
    Friction around a pulley: add rope and skier
    V-shaped pulley: T[2]/T[1] = exp(mu * beta / sin (alpha/2) ); mu = coeff of friction, beta = angular meas of belt around pulley in radians, alpha = angular meas of the v in the pulley
    rope and pulley: T[2]/T[1] = exp(mu * beta ); mu = coeff of friction, beta = angular meas of tow rope around pulley in radians, T[2]= the tension in the rope going uphill, T[1]= the tension in the rope going downhill, T[0]= tension at the middle of the catenary

Tow Rope catenary this is the rope part only
    T[2] = [T[2][0] + w[2] * s[2] ]^[0.5];s = length of rope (lowest point to highest point), w is the unit weight ie lbs/ft so W=ws where W is the total weight of the rope segment
    c = T[0] / w; c is a constant so T[0] = wc
    s = c * sinh (x/c); x = distance horizontally from the lowest point in the catenary to the highest
    y = c * cosh (x/c); y = sag in cable + c [note: solve for c using these two eq.]
    y^2 - s^2 = c^2
    T[2] = w*y [note: max]
    T[0] = w * c [note: min]

Skier skier part only
    initially the skier is not moving, draw a force diagram, x is positive going uphill, y is positive above the ski slope and resolve the forces:
    Friction = mu * N; mu= coeff of friction (.04? not much, you could assume frictionless), N=normal force
    x direction forces=friction + weight * cos(theta); theta = angle between the ski slope and the weight vector
    y direction forces = normal force N = weight * sin(theta)
    after the skier is moving use F = ma, but consider highest forces and add a factor of safety

horse power of motor = rpm*torque*K; K=constant to make the units agree, torque will depend on the radius of the pulley and the tension in the rope: tau = r X F ;this is, as you recall, a vector cross product where tau is torque

you might use energy as a check: kinetic energy = translational energy (1/2 mv^2) + rotational (1/2 Iw^2)

Last edited: May 27, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?