Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skier falling

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    Ho do I calculate for the curve line in this graph I understand that I use this equation
    v = d/t.Could anyone show me an example?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your graph is meaningless. The axes are not labelled, but more importantly, you're plotting 3 different things all with the same vertical scale! It makes no sense.

Zz.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Hi sorry about that unfortunately I've had to design these diagrams in paint so they are not that accurate , but what I would like to know is about the line that curves which is title trajectory,The other thing is is that the diagram that made no sense was from a physics example I was gave to use So hopefully the diagrams I've made make a bit more sense

Attached Files:

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4
    here, let me google that for you: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/accelaration-gravity-d_340.html" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jul 25, 2011 #5
    But what does this have to do with a skier falling down. I rarely do a time, speed distance computation when I fall while skiing. However, based on some personal experience, the hill's slope has a significant impact on the dynamics of the fall. Also the forward velocity (or more correctly the velocity along the skiing surface) influences the the dynamics. Unless this is associated with jumping, the velocity normal to the surface, which is typically at a significant angle to the horizontal, is fairly low.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook