What Angle Causes a Skier to Go Airborne on a Circular Slope?

• Thread starter Mbaboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary: I think you should solve it on your own now.In summary, the conversation discusses a skier going down a circular slope and trying to find the angle at which they will go airborne. The normal force and component of weight towards the center of the slope are important factors to consider. By solving the equation Fcp + N = G*cosA with the normal force N equal to zero, the angle A can be calculated. The conversation also touches on the relationship between circular motion and centripetal force and provides a helpful resource for further understanding.
Mbaboy
There is a circular slope that a skier is going down. He is at the top. If he goes just fast enough to start down the slope, at what angle to the center of curvature does the skier go airborne? I'm not sure if its asking for an exact angle or what. Any help or shove in the right direction is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a suggestion: Think about the normal force.

Dorothy

Well I know that in order to go airborn the normal force is equal to zero. But when it is not zero, the component of the weight towards the center of the slope must be greater than the normal. I'm stuck from there.

Mbaboy said:
Well I know that in order to go airborn the normal force is equal to zero. But when it is not zero, the component of the weight towards the center of the slope must be greater than the normal.
No, the component of weight towards the center of the circle is the normal force.

I don't understand. The normal force is perpendicular to the surface. So if they are both the same, the skier will have no centripetal acceleration.

Mbaboy said:
I don't understand. The normal force is perpendicular to the surface. So if they are both the same, the skier will have no centripetal acceleration.

The normal force is acting towards the center of the circular slope, just as the centripetal force is. Gravity is acting downwards. The component of gravity which is of interest to you is in the direction opposite to the normal and centripetal force, and it equals G*cosA, where A is your angle of interest. (I assume you already drew a diagram.) Now, just solve Fcp + N = G*cosA, where the normal force N equals zero (the 'airborne' condition).

radou said:
The normal force is acting towards the center of the circular slope, just as the centripetal force is. Gravity is acting downwards. The component of gravity which is of interest to you is in the direction opposite to the normal and centripetal force, and it equals G*cosA, where A is your angle of interest. (I assume you already drew a diagram.) Now, just solve Fcp + N = G*cosA, where the normal force N equals zero (the 'airborne' condition).

Hi Radou.

I get mg sin A for the component along that vector. Is A the angle to the horizontal?

Dorothy

I was always told the normal force is perpinducar to the surface, so it would be pointing out from the center. Maybe I didn't clarify the problem well enough, but it is as if the skier is skiing off the top of a sphere.
Can you explain how the normal is causing the centripetal acceleration?

Mbaboy said:
I was always told the normal force is perpinducar to the surface, so it would be pointing out from the center. Maybe I didn't clarify the problem well enough, but it is as if the skier is skiing off the top of a sphere.
Can you explain how the normal is causing the centripetal acceleration?

Oh, sorry, I thought it was like the skier was skiing inside the sphere. :smile: Well, in that case, the normal force is pointing 'outside' the surface of the sphere. The centripetal force is pointing towards the center, as stated before, and gravity is pointing down in the vertical direction. So, you can write, pretty much as I already suggested, G*cosA + Fcp = N. You know that N = 0, so, solve for the angle A.

P.S. The normal force is the reaction from the surface onto the skier.

Why is it gcosA and not mgcosA. Also, is Fcp the centripetal force? If so what is causing it? How can you solve for it because A can't be in terms of Fcp.

Mbaboy said:
Why is it gcosA and not mgcosA. Also, is Fcp the centripetal force? If so what is causing it? How can you solve for it because A can't be in terms of Fcp.

I didn't write g*cosA, I wrote G*cosA, where G = mg, so yes, you can write mg*cosA. Fcp is the centripetal force caused by circular motion.

Well, you don't know the centripetal force, right. But, you can apply the energy consetvarion theorem from the point at the top of the sphere to the point where the contact will be lost, to obtain the velocity the skier has at that point. By plugging in that velocity into the expression for the centripetal force (the masses will cancel), and by returning to G*cosA + Fcp = N, where N = 0, you can calculate the angle A. I hope I didn't miss something again this time. :rolleyes:

So what I'm doing is mgh=(mv^2)/2 and h can be represented as the chord length 2rsin(.5A) times cosA. So basically the answer is one huge expression that I don't feel like writing.

radou said:
Fcp is the centripetal force caused by circular motion.

I still don't understand what you are saying there. Circular motion can't cause centripetal force. Objects in motion keep a straight velocity unless acted on my a force perpindicular to that velocity.

Mbaboy said:
So what I'm doing is mgh=(mv^2)/2 and h can be represented as the chord length 2rsin(.5A) times cosA. So basically the answer is one huge expression that I don't feel like writing.

I still don't understand what you are saying there. Circular motion can't cause centripetal force. Objects in motion keep a straight velocity unless acted on my a force perpindicular to that velocity.

I hope this helps: http://www.mcasco.com/p1cmot.html" .

Regarding the skiing problem, I solved it, and it's no huge expression.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the physics behind a skier going down a slope?

The main physics principles at play when a skier goes down a slope are gravity, friction, and momentum. Gravity pulls the skier down the slope, while friction between the skis and the snow helps to control their speed. The skier's momentum also plays a role in their movement, as they use their body and skis to maintain balance and control.

What equipment does a skier need to safely go down a slope?

A skier needs a few key pieces of equipment to safely navigate a slope. This includes skis, boots, poles, a helmet, goggles, and appropriate clothing. It is important for the skier to have properly fitted and functioning equipment to ensure their safety on the slope.

How does a skier control their speed and direction while going down a slope?

Skiers use a combination of turning, edging, and body movements to control their speed and direction on a slope. Turning the skis helps to slow down, while edging the skis allows for more control and precision. The skier's body movements, such as leaning and shifting weight, also play a role in controlling their speed and direction.

What are some common mistakes that skiers make while going down a slope?

Some common mistakes that skiers make while going down a slope include not maintaining proper body position, not controlling their speed, and not being aware of their surroundings. Skiers should always be in control and aware of their movements, surroundings, and other skiers on the slope to avoid accidents.

What are some safety tips for skiing down a slope?

To stay safe while skiing down a slope, it is important to always wear a helmet, follow the rules and signs posted on the slope, and ski within your ability level. It is also important to stay hydrated, take breaks when needed, and be aware of weather conditions. Additionally, skiers should always be respectful and considerate of other skiers on the slope.