What is the speed of a skier at the bottom of a circular hill?

In summary, the conversation discusses a skier coming down a frictionless ski run with a circular bottom and the question of what her speed is at the bottom of the hill. The conservation of energy is mentioned and the conversation concludes with the correct solution being found through mathematical calculations.
RedPhoenix
A skier weighing 0.80 kN comes down a frictionless ski run that is circular (R = 30 m) at the bottom, as shown. If her speed is 12 m/s at point A, what is her speed at the bottom of the hill (point B)?

http://www.physics.gatech.edu/people/faculty/larry/images/16212.gif

I keep getting mixed results.

I did 30(cos(40))*-1 to get the distance from A to B... but now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
RedPhoenix said:
I did 30(cos(40))*-1 to get the distance from A to B... but now what?
I assume you mean 30*(1 - cos40). What's conserved?

Doc Al said:
I assume you mean 30*(1 - cos40). What's conserved?

Energy is conserved. But I honestly do not have a clue where to proceed. I am obviously missing the portion of this in the book. The answer is in front of me, but I am being blind.

Yes, mechanical energy (KE + gravitational PE) is conserved. So how would you express that mathematically?

Doc Al said:
Yes, mechanical energy (KE + gravitational PE) is conserved. So how would you express that mathematically?

PE = mgy
KE = .5mv^2

so... 800N / 9.8 = 81.63

(.5 x 81.63 x 12^2) + (800 x 30(1-cos40)) = 11492.29/1000.. still wrong. where did I mess up?

RedPhoenix said:
(.5 x 81.63 x 12^2) + (800 x 30(1-cos40)) = 11492.29/1000
The left side is perfectly OK, but I'm not sure what you're doing on the right. Set the left side equal to .5mv^2 and solve for v.

Doc Al said:
The left side is perfectly OK, but I'm not sure what you're doing on the right. Set the left side equal to .5mv^2 and solve for v.

I was converting to kN... it did not matter, I get it.

Bingo!

(.5 x 81.63 x 12^2) + (800 x 30(1-cos40)) = 11492.29

11492.29/.5/81.63 = 281.57 ; 281.57^1/2 = 16.78m/s

Excellent, thank you for your help!

1. What is the physics behind a skier on a circular hill?

When a skier is on a circular hill, they are experiencing circular motion, which is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This is due to the force of gravity pulling the skier down the hill, and the normal force from the hill pushing the skier towards the center of the circle.

2. How does the skier maintain their speed on a circular hill?

In order to maintain their speed, the skier must constantly balance the forces acting on them. This means adjusting their body position and weight distribution to stay on the circular path and counteract any forces that may slow them down, such as friction from the snow or air resistance.

3. What factors affect the skier's speed on a circular hill?

The skier's speed on a circular hill is affected by several factors, including the steepness of the hill, the skier's body position and weight distribution, and any external forces acting on the skier, such as wind or friction.

4. How does the radius of the circular hill impact the skier's experience?

The radius of the circular hill can greatly impact the skier's experience. A larger radius will result in a smoother and less steep path, while a smaller radius will create a sharper turn and a more intense experience. Additionally, a larger radius may require less force to maintain speed, while a smaller radius may require more force and skill from the skier to stay on the path.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when skiing on a circular hill?

When skiing on a circular hill, it is important to always wear a helmet and other protective gear. It is also important to ski within your ability level and to be aware of your surroundings. Additionally, it is important to follow any posted signs or warnings and to avoid skiing on a circular hill in hazardous weather conditions.