Skiing down an incline problem

In summary, the person is asking for help with calculating 11.8 degrees for skiing down an incline using the equation theta=sin^-1 (0.204). They are unsure of how to get this specific angle and ask if a calculator can calculate the inverse sine. They then realize their calculator is set to radians instead of degrees, and thank the others for their help.
elizabethR
i have a question that pertains to skiing down an incline...i can do everything for it, but i have no idea how to get 11.8 degrees from: theta=sin^-1 (0.204) though. how would i know that 11.8 is the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a calculator which can calculate the inverse sine?

- Warren

yea but when i do the inverse sin of .204 on my calculator i get .20544. i am not using it right?

elizabethR said:
yea but when i do the inverse sin of .204 on my calculator i get .20544. i am not using it right?
make sure ur calculator is set to degree not radians or gradients

ur calculator is in radians...change it to degrees and you should get ur expected answer

oh my gosh thank ya'll sooo much! i have been trying to figure that out for the longest time. i am so absent minded sometimes :)

What is the "Skiing down an incline problem"?

The "Skiing down an incline problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of a skier as they ski down a slope or incline. It takes into account factors such as the angle of the incline, the skier's mass, and the forces acting on the skier.

What are the main forces acting on a skier in the "Skiing down an incline problem"?

The main forces acting on a skier in the "Skiing down an incline problem" are gravity, friction, and air resistance. Gravity pulls the skier down the incline, while friction and air resistance act to slow the skier down.

How does the angle of the incline affect the skier's motion in the "Skiing down an incline problem"?

The angle of the incline has a significant impact on the skier's motion. A steeper incline will result in a faster descent for the skier, while a shallower incline will result in a slower descent. This is because the steeper incline increases the force of gravity acting on the skier.

What is the role of mass in the "Skiing down an incline problem"?

The skier's mass plays a role in determining their acceleration down the incline. The greater the mass of the skier, the more force is needed to accelerate them down the slope. This means that a skier with a larger mass will have a slower descent compared to a skier with a smaller mass.

How can the "Skiing down an incline problem" be solved mathematically?

The "Skiing down an incline problem" can be solved using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. By setting up equations for the forces acting on the skier and solving for the unknown variables, the skier's motion down the incline can be determined.