1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skills to put on CV

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    I am going for an internship at a national laboratory and I think I have a pretty good chance but I am wanting to make my CV a little bit better. I won't know until I get the internship what I will be doing so I don't know what skills to include. I'm a senior in Chemistry and Math, I have research experience, and excellent grades and I taught a little bit at a community college. I've already included these things and my responsibilities for my job and research.
    I know a little bit of programming but I'm not really proficient. More like I understand syntax for two programming languages and can code simple programs with both of them. Is this something I should include? I know laboratory skills and safety from the labs I've taken at school but is it worth including something like this? I'm also very good at working with data in Excel.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Disclaimer: I have no idea what the national laboratory is looking for, so take my advice with sufficient grains of salt:

Yes, include it on your CV. The Excel knowledge too. On your CV you can quantify your knowledge, eg "Excel - Expert knowledge", "Python - Simple programs", something like that

This is important, but I don't feel it should be in a CV. Instead, you will want to put it in the motivation letter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook