Skin Absorption of Mercury and its Compounds: Fact or Myth?

In summary, chemicals, including mercury and its compounds, can be absorbed through the skin. This is because the skin is not completely waterproof and certain substances, such as lipid-soluble compounds and small molecules, can easily pass through. There are patches available for substances like nicotine and birth control that utilize this method of absorption. However, for water-soluble compounds, longer contact time is required for absorption. Therefore, it may not be effective to take vitamins through the skin via patches that last for a week.
force
I heard and read that mercury and some of its compounds can get absorbed through the skin how could it do that ?

Aren't our skins soposed to be waterproof ? I don't think that while washing our hands with water the water pases through the epidermis.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well actually, if you have ever gone swimming or have taken a long bath before, then you've probably noticed your fingers started to prune. I bilieve the pruning is caused by the absoption of water. Right? Because the water would flow into our cells because they have a lower conc of water than the surroundings.

So i supose that if this is the case then mercury could probably do the same.

Chemicals are easily absorbed through the skin. That's why you see "patches" for nicotine and birth control.

Here is a good site that discusses it.

http://www.cape.ca/children/derm2.html

Lipid soluble compounds can fairly easily pass through the skin, as can very small molecules. Water soluble compounds don't have as easy of a time, because the cell membrane has the hydrophobic portion of the lipid bilayer facing "outward." They can still get in, but you'd have to soak for a much longer time. Actually, for anything passing through the skin, contact time is important.

Ah, so can I take my vitamins through my skin? Like wear patches that last a week?

1. Is it true that mercury can be absorbed through the skin?

Yes, it is true that mercury can be absorbed through the skin. Mercury is a highly toxic metal that can enter the body through various routes, including skin contact. The extent of absorption depends on the type of mercury compound, the concentration, and the duration of exposure.

2. How does mercury enter the body through the skin?

Mercury can enter the body through the skin in two ways: through direct contact with a mercury-containing substance or through the absorption of mercury vapor in the air. Direct contact with liquid forms of mercury, such as mercury metal or inorganic mercury compounds, can result in absorption through the skin. Inhaling mercury vapor can also lead to skin absorption as it can pass through the skin and into the bloodstream.

3. Can a small amount of mercury exposure through the skin be harmful?

Yes, even a small amount of mercury exposure through the skin can be harmful. The amount of mercury that is absorbed through the skin depends on various factors, but even a small exposure can lead to health effects, especially in vulnerable populations such as children and pregnant women.

4. Is it possible to prevent skin absorption of mercury?

Yes, it is possible to prevent skin absorption of mercury. The best way to prevent mercury exposure through the skin is to avoid contact with mercury-containing substances and to use appropriate personal protective equipment when handling mercury. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and to properly dispose of any mercury-containing products.

5. What are the potential health effects of skin absorption of mercury?

The potential health effects of skin absorption of mercury include skin irritation, allergic reactions, and systemic toxicity. Mercury is a neurotoxin and can cause damage to the brain, nervous system, and other organs. Long-term exposure to low levels of mercury can also lead to cumulative health effects.