Skin depth of a good conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of skin depth in good conductors and its relation to opacity to visible light. The equation for skin depth is derived and used to calculate the value of d for a given frequency and conductivity. The conversation also raises the question of why good conductors are opaque to visible light, to which a possible explanation is given based on the reflection coefficient and the complex wave number in good conductors.
zak8000

Homework Statement

for my assignment given i was told to derive the equation of the skin depth of a good conductor and i derived it as

d=sqrt(2/[itex]\mu\omega\sigma[/itex])

then i was told to calculate d where i was given w=10^15 and sigma=10^7 and this gave me a d of d=1.26E-8 which i guess is a small skin depth and then i was given the question:
From this result, explain why good conductors are opaque to visible light?

i know the skin depth represents the depth of the material the wave has to travel before it reaches 1/e of its original value but i don't know how to answer this question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Only a very thin foil of a good conductor is needed to either reflect or absorb all the light. You understand that the intensity of light decreases very quickly inside the good conductor and I assume you know what opaque means %^).

I think the last equation is dumb. Poor conductors like Carbon are equally opaque to light. Also, good conductors reflect most of the incident wave. Carbon on the other hand absorbs it. Don't see that skin depth has much to do with anything. Refutations welcome.

Hello! I am studying the same thing! Well, let me do an atempt here...

Firstly, remember that in conductors, the wave number is complex, so k = Re(k) + i Im(k)

The expression for k^2 can be derived from maxwell equations. Then you have to take the sqrt of the compley number.

You found that d=sqrt
That you can express it like d = a/(2*pi)

At the same time, d = 1/Im(k)

Re(k) for good conductors is the same that Im(k). Then, you got the wave number k. With it, you can put it into fresnel equation for conductors, and with the reflexion coefficient you can find the relation between "d" and opaque conductors. Let me know what is the conclution you find.

Hello! I am studying the same thing! Well, let me do an atempt here...

Firstly, remember that in conductors, the wave number is complex, so k = Re(k) + i Im(k)

The expression for k^2 can be derived from maxwell equations. Then you have to take the sqrt of the compley number.

You found that d=sqrt
That you can express it like d = a/(2*pi)

At the same time, d = 1/Im(k)

Re(k) for good conductors is the same that Im(k). Then, you got the wave number k. With it, you can put it into fresnel equation for conductors, and with the reflexion coefficient you can find the relation between "d" and opaque conductors. Let me know what is the conclution you find.

1. What is skin depth and why is it important?

Skin depth is a measure of how far an electrical current can penetrate into a material. It is important because it determines how much resistance a material will have to the flow of electricity.

2. How is skin depth calculated?

Skin depth is calculated using the following formula: δ = √(2ρ/ωμ), where ρ is the resistivity of the material, ω is the angular frequency of the current, and μ is the permeability of the material.

3. What factors affect skin depth?

The main factors that affect skin depth are the frequency of the current, the resistivity and permeability of the material, and the thickness of the material. Higher frequencies, higher resistivity, and thicker materials result in smaller skin depths.

4. How does skin depth impact the performance of electrical circuits?

Skin depth can impact the performance of electrical circuits by affecting the resistance of the conductor and therefore the flow of electricity. In high frequency circuits, skin depth can lead to increased resistance and energy loss, which can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the circuit.

5. How does skin depth differ in good and poor conductors?

In good conductors, skin depth is typically smaller due to their high electrical conductivity. In poor conductors, skin depth is larger due to their lower conductivity. This means that in poor conductors, electrical currents can penetrate deeper into the material before encountering significant resistance.