1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skin depth question?

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    hi there, im stuck on this question can some give me a hint on how to solve the question:

the question is:

Calculate the skin depth for copper at 1.0 GHz . σ = 5.8x10^7 S/m, εr=1, μr=1.

the formula i think that i need to use is

tan δ = σ / (ω)(ε0)(εr)

ω = 2nf = 2 x n x 1 x 10^9
    ε0 = 8.85 x 10^-12
    er = 1
    where do i put μr?

im missing a another step but i dont no what, can some give me a hint please?

the answer to the queation is
    tan δ >>1, d = 2.1um

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    You've got to understand what skin depth is and you'll get this question. When you solve Maxwell's equations in a conducting material, you get a complex wavenumber (i.e. a complex dielectric constant) and that imaginary part of the wavenumber leads to a decay of the wave in the conductor. Remember from electrostatics that E-fields should be zero inside a conductor? Well, for time-dependent fields in "good conductors" the E-fields damp out pretty darn quickly. Copper is such a conductor. Start with Maxwells equations in vacuum (your dielectric constant and mag. permeability are identically 1).

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{B} = \frac{4 \pi}{c} \vec{J} + \frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E} \hspace{1cm} \nabla \times \vec{E} = -\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}[/tex]

Assume your E,B fields have time dependence of the form
    [tex]e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

And that for the conductor the current density is proportional to the E-field
    [tex]\vec{J}=\sigma \vec{E}[/tex]

Take the curl of both equations and combine to get a modified wave equation for E. It looks like
    [tex]\nabla^2 \vec{E} + k^2 \vec{E} = 0[/tex]

Where our k is
    [tex]k=\frac{w}{c}\sqrt{1+\frac{i4 \pi \sigma}{\omega}}[/tex]

For "good conductors" (like copper) we have [tex]\sigma \gg \omega[/tex] This amounts to killing the displacement current term in the first place. Or here our k becomes

[tex]k = \frac{\omega}{c}\sqrt{i4 \pi \frac{\sigma}{\omega}} = \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{i4 \pi \sigma \omega} = \frac{(1+i)}{c}\sqrt{4 \pi \sigma \omega}[/tex]

Be sure of how your text/course defines the skin depth. Sometimes it's 1/Im(k) sometimes its 1/[2Im(k)] where Im(k) is the imaginary part of k. Be careful here - I've used Gaussian units throughout so just adapt the technique to your units which are probably SI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook