Skin Irritation from a Liquid

• Thread starter CrazedMathematician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid Skin
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sensory deprivation tanks and the potential effects of different liquids on the skin and hair. While water is the most obvious choice, it can cause skin irritation due to the removal of surface oils. The use of an Epsom salt solution seems to be beneficial for the skin and hair, and NaPCA can be used as a moisturizer after leaving the tank. The conversation also explores the physiology of water immersion wrinkling and its potential as an indicator of limb sympathetic dysfunction. Other potential liquids, such as vinegar and sulfur enriched water, are suggested but may irritate the skin. Aloe is also mentioned as a safe and moisturizing option.
CrazedMathematician
This is sort of an unusual question (and I'm not even sure this is the right forum for it) but here goes. I'm doing a project where theoretically a human would be kept immersed in a liquid for long periods of time and I'm wondering what liquid would be the best for this. The most obvious choice would be water, but long term exposure to water causes skin irritation because water removes the surface layer of oil off the skin that normally locks in moisture so when the person got out of the water the skin would feel extremely dry. I'm curious if anyone knows of a liquid, or maybe a gel-like material, that doesn't cause this and is safe enough for direct contact with skin for extended periods?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sensory deprivation tanks use an Epsom salt solution in water. People float in sensory deprivation tanks for hours:
http://samadhitank.com/firsttime.html#Whateffectdoessaltwaterhaveonmyskinandhair

--
What effect does salt water have on my skin and hair?

The Epsom salt solution seems to be beneficial to the skin. We have listened to some opinions that say Epsom salt is very good for strengthening the hair. We know it's good for roses, why not hair? You thoroughly rinse the salt from your hair and body when you leave the tank.
--

Also the primary moisturizer in human skin is NaPCA. You can buy it at Beyond A Century and apply it when you get out of your sensory deprivation chamber.

Last edited:
For everyone who ever wondered why fingers get wrinkly in the bathtub :biggrin: :

Clin Auton Res. 2004 Apr;14(2):125-31.
Water immersion wrinkling--physiology and use as an indicator of sympathetic function.
Wilder-Smith EP.
Water immersion skin wrinkling is an indicator of limb sympathetic function. Routine clinical usage of this enigmatic phenomenon is hampered by poor endpoint quantification, which involves counting skin folds. The recent discovery of the importance of vasoconstriction in immersion wrinkling suggests digital blood flow or volume changes as better endpoints. Water probably initiates the wrinkling process by altering epidermal electrolyte homeostasis as it diffuses into the porous skin of the hands and soles via its many sweat ducts. Altered epidermal electrolyte homeostasis would lead to a change in membrane stability of the surrounding dense network of nerve fibers and trigger increased vasomotor firing with subsequent vasoconstriction. Vasoconstriction, through loss of volume, leads to negative digit pulp pressure resulting in a downward pull on the overlying skin, which wrinkles as it is distorted. The degree of wrinkling would directly depend on the change in digit tip volume and implies any process inducing loss of digit volume will precipitate wrinkling. This review discusses the physiology of water immersion wrinkling and explores its potential as an indicator of limb sympathetic dysfunction.

Looks good, thanks hitssquad!

You can try vinegar, it would most likely irritate the skin due to it's acid content. Or maybe sulfur enriched water, so as that from a geyser (cooled off of course :p)

I would just use Aloe. It's definitely safe for your skin, you can even eat the stuff, and you get to be all green and gooey, which is generally a bonus.

1. What are the common causes of skin irritation from a liquid?

The most common causes of skin irritation from a liquid are chemical irritants, allergens, and physical irritants. Chemical irritants include cleaning products, detergents, and soaps. Allergens can be found in products like lotions, perfumes, and makeup. Physical irritants can include friction from rubbing or wearing tight clothing.

2. How can I prevent skin irritation from a liquid?

To prevent skin irritation from a liquid, it is important to avoid contact with known irritants. This can be done by reading labels and avoiding products that contain chemicals or allergens that you know you are sensitive to. It is also important to protect your skin by wearing gloves or protective clothing when handling potentially irritating liquids.

3. What are the symptoms of skin irritation from a liquid?

The symptoms of skin irritation from a liquid can vary depending on the cause, but common symptoms include redness, itching, burning, and dryness. In more severe cases, blisters or swelling may occur. These symptoms may develop immediately after contact with the liquid or they may appear after repeated exposure.

4. How can I treat skin irritation from a liquid?

If you experience skin irritation from a liquid, the first step is to stop using the product and avoid any further contact with it. You can then wash the affected area with mild soap and water and apply a soothing lotion or cream. If the irritation is severe or does not improve, it is important to seek medical advice.

5. Are there any long-term effects of skin irritation from a liquid?

In most cases, skin irritation from a liquid will resolve on its own once exposure to the irritant is stopped. However, if the irritation is severe or chronic, it may lead to long-term effects such as skin damage or scarring. It is important to seek medical attention if your symptoms do not improve or if you experience any concerning changes in your skin.