Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skin Irritation from a Liquid

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    This is sort of an unusual question (and I'm not even sure this is the right forum for it) but here goes. I'm doing a project where theoretically a human would be kept immersed in a liquid for long periods of time and I'm wondering what liquid would be the best for this. The most obvious choice would be water, but long term exposure to water causes skin irritation because water removes the surface layer of oil off the skin that normally locks in moisture so when the person got out of the water the skin would feel extremely dry. I'm curious if anyone knows of a liquid, or maybe a gel-like material, that doesn't cause this and is safe enough for direct contact with skin for extended periods?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2
    Sensory deprivation tanks use an Epsom salt solution in water. People float in sensory deprivation tanks for hours:

What effect does salt water have on my skin and hair?

The Epsom salt solution seems to be beneficial to the skin. We have listened to some opinions that say Epsom salt is very good for strengthening the hair. We know it's good for roses, why not hair? You thoroughly rinse the salt from your hair and body when you leave the tank.

Also the primary moisturizer in human skin is NaPCA. You can buy it at Beyond A Century and apply it when you get out of your sensory deprivation chamber.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For everyone who ever wondered why fingers get wrinkly in the bathtub :biggrin: :

Clin Auton Res. 2004 Apr;14(2):125-31.
    Water immersion wrinkling--physiology and use as an indicator of sympathetic function.
    Wilder-Smith EP.
  5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    Looks good, thanks hitssquad!
  6. Apr 9, 2005 #5
    You can try vinegar, it would most likely irritate the skin due to it's acid content. Or maybe sulfur enriched water, so as that from a geyser (cooled off of course :p)
  7. Apr 10, 2005 #6
    I would just use Aloe. It's definately safe for your skin, you can even eat the stuff, and you get to be all green and gooey, which is generally a bonus.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?