Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skipping Algebra 2

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    I wanted to get ahead with my mathematics studies in order to learn more about physics, and the fact that I like mathematics. I received an Algebra 2 book (I'm taking it in 10th grade) to study throughout the summer. I'm still working on it, but I'm making sure to understand what I'm learning, along with doing problems. I would like to be able to take the Algebra 2 final ahead of time, but my mother (who teaches at the high school I go to) told me that it's not allowed. It seemed unfair that I had to be held back like that, instead of being able to take pre-calculus and trigonometry. So I was looking for some advice to help me go about requesting to take the finals. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
    You might try requesting the Algebra 2 final just for fun/practice, and showing them that you can in fact do well. Then propose the skip. I would check to see if it's even possible for you to do such a thing though. Find out ultimately, who's decision it would be.

4. Jul 28, 2011 #3
    Okay, I was thinking about just doing if for fun, but that sounds like a good idea.

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4
    I was in a somewhat similar situation when a college denied me entry even though I told them I'd self-studied the prerequisites and would be willing to take a competency test. If you have to take Algebra II again, then just go along with it and study pre-calculus on your own. It might be boring, but I think it'd serve to solidify your foundations.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the replies guys. auto you may be right. I guess I'll have to request a book then, oh well, should be good.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook