1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skipping Algebra 2

1. Jul 28, 2011 #1
    I wanted to get ahead with my mathematics studies in order to learn more about physics, and the fact that I like mathematics. I received an Algebra 2 book (I'm taking it in 10th grade) to study throughout the summer. I'm still working on it, but I'm making sure to understand what I'm learning, along with doing problems. I would like to be able to take the Algebra 2 final ahead of time, but my mother (who teaches at the high school I go to) told me that it's not allowed. It seemed unfair that I had to be held back like that, instead of being able to take pre-calculus and trigonometry. So I was looking for some advice to help me go about requesting to take the finals. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2011 #2
    You might try requesting the Algebra 2 final just for fun/practice, and showing them that you can in fact do well. Then propose the skip. I would check to see if it's even possible for you to do such a thing though. Find out ultimately, who's decision it would be.

4. Jul 28, 2011 #3
    Okay, I was thinking about just doing if for fun, but that sounds like a good idea.

5. Jul 28, 2011 #4
    I was in a somewhat similar situation when a college denied me entry even though I told them I'd self-studied the prerequisites and would be willing to take a competency test. If you have to take Algebra II again, then just go along with it and study pre-calculus on your own. It might be boring, but I think it'd serve to solidify your foundations.

6. Jul 28, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the replies guys. auto you may be right. I guess I'll have to request a book then, oh well, should be good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook