1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skolem paradox

1. Oct 17, 2003 #1
    mathworld defines the paradox like this:"Even though real arithmetic is uncountable, it possesses a countable "model.""
    now here a few a questions:
    1. why cant you count in real arithmetic, surely you can count numbers (-: ?
    2. what is this "model"?
    3. why the "model" is countable but the arithmetic isnt?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to guess at the meaning of some of the terms but...

Recall that "countable" when applied to a set means that the set can be placed into a 1-1 correspondence with the natural numbers. For example, with the rational numbers, we can write the enumeration

1 - 1/1
    2 - 2/1
    3 - 1/2
    4 - 3/1
    5 - 1/3 (we already have 2/2)
    6 - 4/1
    7 - 3/2
    8 - 2/3
    9 - 1/4
    10 - 5/1
    11 - 1/5

Every rational number will appear in this sequence, so the rational numbers are countable.

However, the real numbers are uncountable; it is impossible to make such an enumeration (via one of Cantor's diagonal arguments).

I presume by saying "real arithmetic is uncountable" it means that there are uncountably many real numbers.

As for the countable model... I presume that they mean when the axioms are weakened to be written in first-order logic. I don't know what one does to the axiom of completeness, but I know there's an important type of field called a real closed field (aka "formally real field"), and I presume that the axioms of a real closed field are what replaces the axiom of completeness. A countable model of a real closed field is the algebraic numbers (the field of all real roots of integer polynomials).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?