1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sky diving

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    Hey all,

I went skydiving 2 days ago expecting to get that sinking stomach feeling that people typically experience during a roller coaster. Well, that didn't happen. It just felt like wind blowing on you. Can someone please explain?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Well I've never experienced skydiving and barely remember roller coaster rides but my guess is that on a roller coaster, you're being thrown up and down and side to side whereas when you're skydiving, you're only accelerating in one direction. I also THINK that once you hit terminal velocity, your organs wont be accelerating in any direction so it'll be relatively stable.
  4. Feb 26, 2006 #3
    yea, i thought that organs are accelerating faster than the rest of your strapped body during a roller coaster drop. So the organs push up causing that sinking feeling. I was talking to another friend and he was saying how the horizontal velocity component (the airplane) does not cause the "gut sensation." So if you were to skydive off a mountain, you WOULD experience the sensation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?