Skydiving: No Sinking Stomach Feeling?

• Thread starter dtmmfam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stomach
In summary, the conversation discusses the different experiences of skydiving and riding a roller coaster. While some people expect to feel a sinking stomach sensation during skydiving, it is often described as just feeling like wind blowing on you. One person suggests that this may be because in skydiving, you are only accelerating in one direction, while on a roller coaster you are being thrown in multiple directions. Another person adds that the horizontal velocity component of the airplane may also play a role in the lack of a "gut sensation" during skydiving. They also mention that skydiving off a mountain may result in a different experience.
dtmmfam
Hey all,

I went skydiving 2 days ago expecting to get that sinking stomach feeling that people typically experience during a roller coaster. Well, that didn't happen. It just felt like wind blowing on you. Can someone please explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I've never experienced skydiving and barely remember roller coaster rides but my guess is that on a roller coaster, you're being thrown up and down and side to side whereas when you're skydiving, you're only accelerating in one direction. I also THINK that once you hit terminal velocity, your organs won't be accelerating in any direction so it'll be relatively stable.

yea, i thought that organs are accelerating faster than the rest of your strapped body during a roller coaster drop. So the organs push up causing that sinking feeling. I was talking to another friend and he was saying how the horizontal velocity component (the airplane) does not cause the "gut sensation." So if you were to skydive off a mountain, you WOULD experience the sensation.

1. Can skydiving really be done without feeling the sinking stomach sensation?

Yes, it is possible to skydive without feeling the sinking stomach sensation. This is because skydiving involves jumping from a high altitude and freefalling, which creates a feeling of weightlessness rather than a sinking sensation.

2. How does skydiving without the sinking stomach feeling work?

Skydiving without the sinking stomach feeling is achieved by using a technique called the "track and float" method. This involves positioning the body in a horizontal position and using the arms and legs to control the direction of the fall, creating a sensation of flying rather than falling.

3. Is skydiving without the sinking stomach feeling safe?

Yes, skydiving without the sinking stomach feeling is considered safe as long as it is done with a professional and experienced instructor and with the proper equipment. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines to minimize any risks.

4. Can anyone learn to skydive without feeling the sinking stomach sensation?

Yes, anyone can learn to skydive without feeling the sinking stomach sensation. It may take some practice and training, but with the right guidance and technique, most people can achieve this feeling of weightlessness during a skydive.

5. Are there any tips for skydiving without the sinking stomach feeling?

Some tips for skydiving without the sinking stomach feeling include practicing proper body positioning, staying relaxed and calm during the jump, and focusing on the feeling of weightlessness rather than the fear of falling. It is also important to communicate with the instructor and follow their guidance during the jump.