Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sky Shade Shift?

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    I'm not sure which sub-forums this should go in...

Does the shade of blue that the sky appears to be change at all at differing lattitudes on Earth?
    What about different altitudes?
    If so, how much?
    Any links to specific info?

Thanks for any input you have.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well, it does change with local weather conditions and the altitude of the sun. I'm not sure if I consider that a "yes" or not...
  4. Oct 13, 2004 #3
    I know that the shade of the sky can vary widely in different atmospheric conditions.
    What I am wondering is if it would var at differnt lattitudes under identical conditions.
    If you look up at noon on a clear dry day at the equator would it be the same shade as if you looked up at noon at the North or South Pole at noon on a clear dry day?
  5. Oct 13, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well the altitude of the Sun at noon at those latitudes would have its effect. At the equator the Sun at noon never gets more than 23+ degrees from straight overhead. At the poles, it never gets more than that above the horizon at noon.
  6. Oct 14, 2004 #5
    On a similar note...
    I am curious...
    If the sky is blue due to the scattering of sunlight by the air molecules, then:
    1.) Why doesn't the Earth look blue from space? The water looks blue, sure, but I would expect there to be at least a slight blue haze over the land and clouds.
    2.) Why, when looking off many miles into the distance on Earth, objects don't have a blue haze? Why is there a blue sky, but no blue "wall"?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?