Skype vs Google Talk: Which Do You Prefer?

In summary, Google Talk is a good IM service and GtalkPhone allows you to make PC to ordinary phone calls without any phone company charges.

Skype or Google Talk

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Google Talk

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
ranger
Gold Member
Which one do you guys use? I perfer Google Talk because I find it easier to use.

These are the only ones I know. Please recommend others.

Computer science news on Phys.org
google talk, because its simple to use, and its the only one that works through my university's firewall/proxy

Google talk, because I am Google whore ;-)

Neither, I have my own linux based asterisk server. When a call comes in get routed by the server and sent to the appropriate voip phone on the network. It is a really neat system. I got music on hold, voice mail boxes, caller id, etc.

dduardo said:
Neither, I have my own linux based asterisk server. When a call comes in get routed by the server and sent to the appropriate voip phone on the network. It is a really neat system. I got music on hold, voice mail boxes, caller id, etc.

Thats sounds awesome. Does you VOIP provider charge you extra for such a setup?

For $20 a month I get unlimited calls within the US and Canada. The only thing the voip provider does is bridge the analog phone line to the internet. All the other features like mail boxes and such are programmed using the asterisks box. Internet to internet calls are free.

Another feature of asterisk is that you can queue phone calls. That means if I'm currently talking to someone and two other people call me, asterisk will put the two new callers on music to hold with a message telling them that I will get to them as soon as possible.

dduardo said:

Wow, and I don't even own a phone.

One of my friends who lives far away from me is going to try out Google talk with me in the next few days when all the components are set up. I'll even be trying it out from a 56k landline internet connection and also broadband and see how that goes, because I'm fairly certain that broadband will provide more than enough bit rate for VOIP connections.

The only thing the voip provider does is bridge the analog phone line to the internet
Another feature of asterisk is that you can queue phone calls. That means if I'm currently talking to someone and two other people call me, asterisk will put the two new callers on music to hold with a message telling them that I will get to them as soon as possible.

How many trunks do you have? If you are doing that on your local PBX do you not need at least 3 copper trunks?

I have never used asterix on Linux. Only AVAYA and Cisco PBX's for IP Telephoney. What type of VoIP phones are you using dduardo?

Trunks? I don't do any analog to digital conversion on my end. My provider does the conversion and sends the voice packets over the internet to my pbx server. The multi-line feature I'm talking about is called line alternate which enables users to switch between calls or make a call when already on the phone.

I have polycom phones.

I see.. I misunderstood your post, I thought you had a copper trunks out to a Telco then they were poping you on the internet, rather then straight IP to the telco

Nice setup...

dduardo said:

Asterisk is cool, I did not know anything about it but last week in our linux user group meeting, we got a demonstration on it. We were shown how to set it up as a pbx and for voice mail.

Skype; my box runs NetBSD and Skype's the only thing I can get to run. (via Linux emulation)
If Google Talk was available to me, however, I'd choose it over Skype any day.

Google Talk = Jabber. Therefore you can login to google talk using GAIM which can run on *BSD.

Yeah, but as far as I know, there hasn't been a Jabber client as of yet that supports voice talk on *BSD..

Pseudo Statistic said:
Yeah, but as far as I know, there hasn't been a Jabber client as of yet that supports voice talk on *BSD..
You could probably use gaim-vv. Not sure if it would help.

http://gaim-vv.sourceforge.net/

Awesome, I'll check it out... thanks.

GTalkPhone for Google Talk

hi, i am convinced that google talk is a really good IM. in addition to that, found this site called gtalkphone.com. now, it allows me to make PC to ordinary phone calls anywhere in the world and vice-versa. check it out! its cool!

I guess that this would be a good time to mention that skype is offering free calls to landlines within the US and Canada.

only until the end of the year ranger. And you actually need to live in one of those countries

1. What are the main differences between Skype and Google Talk?

Skype is a video and audio calling platform owned by Microsoft, while Google Talk (also known as Google Hangouts) is a messaging and video conferencing platform owned by Google. Skype is primarily used for personal communication, while Google Talk is often used for business communication.

2. Which platform has better audio and video quality?

Both Skype and Google Talk have high-quality audio and video capabilities, but Skype generally has better audio and video quality. This is because Skype uses a peer-to-peer network, while Google Talk uses a server-based network.

3. Is Skype or Google Talk more secure?

Both Skype and Google Talk use encryption to protect communication between users, but Skype has faced some security concerns in the past. Google Talk has a slightly better track record in terms of security, but it is always important to use caution when sharing sensitive information over any online platform.

4. Can I use Skype or Google Talk on any device?

Skype and Google Talk are both available on a variety of devices, including desktop computers, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. However, Skype is available on a wider range of devices, including gaming consoles and smart TVs.

5. Which platform is more popular?

As of 2021, Skype has approximately 300 million monthly active users, while Google Talk has around 1 billion monthly active users. However, it is important to note that Google Talk is often used for work and business communication, while Skype is primarily used for personal communication.