Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skyrim gameplay videos!

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    I was about to plan something very cool to describe the game to you but I doubt anything I could plan would do the game justice. With this out of the way, I'd suggest you go straight to YouTube and watch gameplay videos.

To those who do know of the mighty Skyrim: Can't wait for next month, can you?!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    Re: Skyrim!

I'm right there with you on this! I played Oblivion for several months! Really looking forward to this epic of a game! Something like 150 unique dungeons maps! I just hope my laptop can handle it! Gaming graphics are now becoming scary good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRtYpNRoN0

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    ^
    I know right! I was scared my aging 8800GT wouldn't be able to make it through but quite surprisingly, I'm able to run it on "high" but with minimum details on shadows and no AA. And I turned off the other kind of filtering as well. To be honest, in the past, I don't think these settings changed much. I was just happy I could play everything on max settings, back in 2007/08!

I'm not quite up to speed with things these days, but you remember Crysis, right? (I mean who wouldn't?!) Apparently, it was ahead of its time and the hardware that could run this game on max settings was not on the market yet. Is it now? I used to think that if I can run Crysis, I could run anything! :D

ANYWAY: I started playing. Loving it so far. I'm not too happy with certain movement mechanics (character looks effing retarded when swimming, for example) but this a huge improvement engine-wise. So much more fluid than in Oblivion or the recent Fallout games, which I didn't play, precisely because of the mechanics. Yes, I'm fussy like that. :P

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I already know I need a new graphic card, which in turn means I probably need a new power supply. Hopefully later this month I will be able to afford both, I had some unexpected expenses that put me in red. For now I installed Morrowind, as Oblivion is too fresh in my memory.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Morrowind was a more free engine; I miss float spell/potions.

7. Nov 18, 2011 #6

Borek

Yihaaa! 1GB ASUS HD6850 card is here, 750W Corsair power supply is here, Skyrim is here - turned out place I am getting my hardware from added some high profile games to their software section, so I got everything together (and cheaper than from other places). It is all too cold to open boxes now, but if I will disappear from PF later today - you know what happened :biggrin:

8. Nov 18, 2011 #7

Borek

Argh. After installing Skyrim from DVD (which took much longer than expected) it immediately started to upgrade itself - it was half an hour ago. I WAN'T TO PLAY, NOT WATCH STUPID STEAM DIALOG WINDOW :grumpy:

9. Dec 14, 2011 #8

radou

Homework Helper

A bit off topic perhaps, but I mush share my joy with you - I manage to run Skyrim on my computer, which is pretty old - it's a 3.0 GHz Prescott CPU with a Radeon HD 4670 graphics card and 2 Gb of RAM. Of course, I play on low settings, but I adore the Elder Scrolls saga, so graphics isn't really an issue. The gameplay is absolutely fantastic. :smile:

10. Dec 14, 2011 #9

Borek

My old graphic card used to run Elder Scrolls, until it took an arrow to the knee.

11. Dec 14, 2011 #10

Pythagorean

Gold Member

holy quest bugs

12. Dec 14, 2011 #11
    its been very buggy and the patches they send out brake more than they fix. still a great game though.

13. Dec 14, 2011 #12

radou

Homework Helper

I third that, there are bugs, but it's still great... Actually, there are some pretty stupid bugs, for example, I finished the Malacath quest yesterday, and I didn't get the rewarding warhammer! And on uespwiki the only tip was to try to load the game from the last save and do it again! This didn't work :D

14. Dec 14, 2011 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

yeah, can't stop playing. I always do this, especially right around finals. Must beat main story line before officially returning from thanksgiving break.

15. Dec 14, 2011 #14

Borek

I am in Falkreath and I need to help people three times. Thing is, I already did all local quests before jarl told me to do so - but the counter is at zero. I guess another bug. Sigh.

I am playing Polish version, so names are different, which at time means I have troubles consulting wiki. I can't switch to English version, as it hungs (not immediately, but soon enough). Besides, switch requires 1.5GB download.

16. Dec 14, 2011 #15
    Level 22, but haven't played in a week since the last update broke my ability to pick locks. Will try again next update.

17. Dec 14, 2011 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

I have a level 25 High Elf (Pure Mage). All of my gear is enchanted with "decrease cost of destruction spells by 25%", which has significantly reduced the game's difficulty. I have moved the difficulty to Expert and it has made things more challenging; Master is very difficult.

I haven't had time to play for a couple weeks because of finals. :frown: I'm looking forward to the winter break.

My wife made a Khajiit but doesn't play it very much. When she does, she just goes from town-to-town talking to everyone to hear about their lives. :grumpy: She still has not completed a single quest after 12 hours of gameplay. However, this is the beauty of the series; one can do what one wants, and that's what she enjoys doing. :smile:

18. Dec 14, 2011 #17

Dembadon

Gold Member

:rofl: The guards are funny. I laughed out loud when I heard, "Let me guess, someone stole your Sweet Roll."

19. Dec 14, 2011 #18
    http://9gag.com/gag/1041960

20. Dec 15, 2011 #19

radou

Homework Helper

My character's name is "blabla", since I was too excited to think of a decent name when I first played, now I'm level 26 and too lazy to start all over again. :smile:

21. Dec 15, 2011 #20

Borek

I am a level 39 Bosmer - mostly using an ebony bow, plus an enchanted ring (+28% for archery) and an enchanted helmet (+33% for archery). Add to that over 80 in stealth and you know how I play. At least half of the opponents doesn't survive first arrow, especially as the damage is multiplied by 3 for a surprise attack.

Truth is, I suck at combat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook