Slab of dieletric material (with surface charge) in normal electric field

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question asks for various values (P, D, and E) related to a flat slab of sulfur placed in a uniform electric field. Using the given equations, the values for P and D can be found, and then E can be determined by dividing by the permittivity of air. The equations provided are interchangeable and your reasoning for finding the values is correct.
GeoMike

Homework Statement

"A flat slab of sulfur ([tex]\epsilon_{r}[/tex] = 4) is placed normal to a uniform field. If [tex]\rho_{sp} = 0.5 C/m^{2}[/tex] on the slab surfaces, find:
a) P in the slab
b) D in the slab
c) D outside of the slab (in air)
d) E in the slab
e) E outside the slab (in air)

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://www.mcschell.com/eq1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I have pertains to the relationship between the two equations above.
Since the slab is normal to the field I have:
[PLAIN]http://www.mcschell.com/eq2.gif

Can I take this one step further by using the first equation to rewrite the above as:
[PLAIN]http://www.mcschell.com/eq3.gif

Since:
[PLAIN]http://www.mcschell.com/eq4.gif

Or is my reasoning here wrong? I'm still not sure I entirely grasp the theory involved here, so any conceptual help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Mike,

Your reasoning is correct. The second equation you have written is equivalent to the first equation you provided. This is because the permittivity of sulfur, \epsilon_{r}, is a constant value and can be factored out of the integral. Therefore, the equations are interchangeable and both will give you the correct values for P, D, and E.

Additionally, your method for finding the values for P, D, and E is correct. By using the equations for P and D, you can find the values for E by dividing by the permittivity of the medium (in this case, air). This will give you the electric field inside and outside of the slab.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is a slab of dielectric material with surface charge in a normal electric field?

A slab of dielectric material with surface charge in a normal electric field refers to a physical setup where a dielectric material (such as a non-conducting plastic) is placed between two parallel plates that have opposite charges. This creates an electric field perpendicular to the plates, with the dielectric material acting as an insulator between them.

2. How does the surface charge affect the electric field in the slab of dielectric material?

The surface charge on the plates creates an electric field that is perpendicular to the plates and also within the dielectric material. This causes a polarization effect in the material, where the positive and negative charges within the dielectric material align with the external electric field, resulting in an overall weakening of the electric field within the dielectric material.

3. What is the purpose of using a slab of dielectric material in a normal electric field?

The purpose of using a slab of dielectric material in a normal electric field is to manipulate the strength of the electric field. By changing the properties of the dielectric material (such as its permittivity), the strength of the electric field can be increased or decreased, allowing for control over the behavior of electric charges in the surrounding environment.

4. How does the permittivity of the dielectric material affect the electric field?

The permittivity of a dielectric material refers to its ability to store electrical energy. In the context of a slab of dielectric material in a normal electric field, a higher permittivity means a stronger polarization effect and a weaker electric field within the material. Conversely, a lower permittivity would result in a weaker polarization effect and a stronger electric field within the material.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and the surface charge in a slab of dielectric material?

The electric field and the surface charge are directly proportional to each other in a slab of dielectric material in a normal electric field. This means that as the surface charge increases, the electric field also increases, resulting in a stronger polarization effect within the dielectric material. Similarly, a decrease in surface charge would result in a weaker electric field and a weaker polarization effect.