What is the difference between slat and tile arrays in active phased arrays?

• Thread starter senmeis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arrays
In summary: They are just like the fields in a metal antenna that you might have on your roof. The fields in the slot accelerate the electrons and they radiate in all directions.
senmeis
Hi,

I’m reading the attached pdf article at https://www.microwavejournal.com/art...neration-radar about tile architecture in active phased arrays. Please help me with the following two questions.

1. Figure 2: Are this figure and the attached architecture (array.jpg) referred to the same structure?
2. It seems the radiating direction of the elements in tile arrays (Figure 3) is perpendicular to the plain. What about the radiating direction in slat arrays?

Senmeis

Attachments

• Tile Arrays Accelerate the Evolution to Next.pdf
    253.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Array.jpg
    Array.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 130
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks as if the difference between slat and tile arrays is nothing to do with the antenna itself but is concerned with the packaging of the electronics on to PCBs.
The slat array is an older system where the PCBs are arranged edge on to the face of the array, proving lots of space for electronics. The tile arrays use PCBs flat on the face of the array, so that there is much less component space but it is cheaper.

I’m not sure if the elements are the same. It seems to me the elements in Figure 2 are patch antennas which are perpendicular to the face of the array, but the elements in Figure 3 are parallel to the face of the array.

Sorry, I do not have access to the Microwave journal. It is possible the tile uses patch antennas and the slat uses printed dipoles.

senmeis said:
I’m not sure if the elements are the same. It seems to me the elements in Figure 2 are patch antennas which are perpendicular to the face of the array, but the elements in Figure 3 are parallel to the face of the array.
This is correct, however both elements radiate perpendicular to the array plane.

The original article is already attached. I don’t understand why elements in Figure 3 radiate perpendicular to the array plane. I always think the radiating direction of patch antenna is parallel to the pad plane.

Because they are a metal surface approximately one-half wavelength that is mounted on a dielectric above a ground plane. It resonates and sets up big fields at its edges (from patch to ground plane). These fields resemble those from a slot radiator and launch radiation normal to the patch.

senmeis said:
The original article is already attached. I don’t understand why elements in Figure 3 radiate perpendicular to the array plane. I always think the radiating direction of patch antenna is parallel to the pad plane.
A patch resembles two slots cut in the ground plane. Each slot radiates over a complete 180 degree sector normal to its length. So you are right there is radiation along the ground plane. But as there are two slots, they form a broadside array with half wave spacing and the same phase, so they cancel radiation along the ground plane, leaving a maximum normal to the ground plane.

• Informative
Likes marcusl
tech99 said:
A patch resembles two slots cut in the ground plane.
Incidentally, the radiation from a slot is caused when electrons in the metal are accelerated by the transmitter. The fields in the slot do not do the radiating.

Likes marcusl

What is the difference between slat and tile arrays in active phased arrays?

Slat and tile arrays are two types of antenna arrays used in active phased arrays. They both have a similar function of transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves, but there are some key differences between them.

1. What are the physical differences between slat and tile arrays?

Slat arrays are made up of individual slats or panels that are arranged in a linear or curved fashion. These slats can be mechanically steered to change the direction of the antenna beam. On the other hand, tile arrays consist of smaller individual tiles that are arranged in a grid pattern. These tiles are electronically steered to adjust the direction of the beam.

2. How do slat and tile arrays differ in terms of beamforming?

Beamforming is the process of combining signals from multiple antennas to create a stronger and more focused beam. In slat arrays, beamforming is achieved by physically steering the slats, while in tile arrays, it is achieved by electronically controlling the phase and amplitude of the signals from each tile.

3. Which type of array is more suitable for radar applications?

Both slat and tile arrays can be used for radar applications. However, slat arrays are more commonly used for air and maritime surveillance radars due to their ability to mechanically steer the beam. Tile arrays, on the other hand, are often used for ground-based radar systems.

4. How do slat and tile arrays differ in terms of cost and complexity?

Slat arrays tend to be more expensive and complex to manufacture and maintain compared to tile arrays. This is because they require mechanical components for beam steering, while tile arrays can achieve the same function electronically. Additionally, slat arrays may require more frequent maintenance due to the moving parts.

5. Which type of array offers better performance?

The performance of slat and tile arrays can vary depending on the specific application and design. In general, slat arrays offer higher gain and better beam control, making them more suitable for long-range applications. Tile arrays, on the other hand, can provide better beam agility and faster beam scanning, making them more suitable for tracking multiple targets simultaneously.