Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slayer excitor

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1
    what happens if incandescent flashlight is bought near to slayer excitor ? Will the flashlight bulb gets damaged ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Apr 6, 2016 #3
    in some videos and instructables i saw plasma in the bulbs. i think it could damage bulb filament when we switch on flashlight near slayer excitor.

5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK. That is an opinion. Can you support that opinion with science? (Why do you think you'd have to switch the flashlight on?)

Note:
    1. "could damage" (post #3) and "will damage" (your actual question in post #1) are different.
    2. Enough of an electric field will damage anything... usually by sparks/lightning striking it... so what are the parameters being considered? Perhaps an induced PD across the filament heating it up? A power surge in the power supply? Or the inert gas in the bulb getting excited to incandescence or even to a palsma?

The normal operating potentials of the SE's on YouTube don't seem to be all that high.
    Full-size tesla coil labs are lit by incandescent bulbs iirc.
    My answer is "maybe, probably not". So ... could the bulb get damaged? Yes is could ... just probably not... especially inside a flashlight.

Can you link to a video with incandescent bulbs? The one's I've seen are fluorescents.

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5

7. Apr 6, 2016 #6
  8. Apr 6, 2016 #7
    How the plasma is formed in that bulbs ? will plasma decreases life of tungsten filament when we power that bulb and place near slayer excitor ?

9. Apr 6, 2016 #8

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I haven't viewed the videos, but the image appears to show the ionizing of rarified gas surrounding metallic/conductive components inside the bulb. This would be expected from immersion in a strong electric field. It appears harmless enough to the bulb.

I remember as a teenager experimenting with a car ignition coil, and holding a light bulb near it hoping to see the inert gas glow purplish. As a precaution, I held the bulb gingerly by the very tip of the glass envelope to maximize intervening insulation. Before I had a chance to see any inner glow, I received a few good jolts and let go of the bulb and it smashed on the shed floor.

I moved onto less hazardous areas of experimentation.

10. Apr 6, 2016 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The effect starts at 1:45 ... it looks like a mini plasma discharge ball with purpley-blue arcs from the filament to the glass.
    These bulbs usually contain argon - maybe nitrogen or krypton. Argon and Nitrogen discharges usually look more purple than that so I'm leaning towards Krypton ... the glow is very small so I could be mistaken.

Maybe heat from the discharge could shorten the filament life or the arcs could provide a path for electrons to flow to and from the filament but getting hot with a flow of current is what these bulbs are designed to withstand so I don't see anything that would indicate an immediate effect when a current is added. The whole point of the Krypton is to protect the filament after all.

11. Apr 7, 2016 #10

rbelli1

Gold Member

Why not try it? You can report your findings here. Worst case you fry an inexpensive bulb.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted