1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sled question

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    Sled question

I have a physics midterm tonite and i was trying some of the practice tests and i got stuck on this question, ur help would be greatly appreciated :)

1. The problem:
    A sled is travelling at 4.00m/s along a horizontal stretch of snow. The coefficeint of kinetic friction is Uk=0.05 and the coefficient of static friction Us=0.07. How far does the sled go before stopping?

2.This is my thought process:
    Ok im assuming its moving at constant speed and the acceleration is negative so i drew the FBD with weight down, normal forced up and force of kinetic friction to the left. (Assuming its moving to the right) i thought that Fnet= force of friction (x-direction) = m a , and that by solving for acceleration i can use it to find out the distance however i dont have mass so I didnt know wat to do?! Any suggestions?

3. The answer is actually 16.3m

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2
    Why would you need to know the mass?

4. Feb 1, 2007 #3
    I think if you just follow thru with what you have done already, you are there:

set ma=frictional force and solve for a.

5. Feb 1, 2007 #4
    well if what i said was correct and fnet(x-direction) = ma = Ff, then
    ma = Ukmg right? ohhh ic....lol so a=Ukg.... my bad this is where i make another stupid mistake....THANKS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?