Help Solving a Sled Friction Problem

• Thread starter saralsaigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, sled friction is the resistance experienced by a sled when moving across a surface. It is important to solve a sled friction problem in order to determine the force needed to move the sled and for safety reasons. Common methods for reducing sled friction include using lubricants, smoother surfaces, and reducing weight. The amount of friction on a sled can be calculated using the equation F = μN, and understanding sled friction has real-life applications in industries such as engineering, physics, and sports science.
saralsaigh
Sled question

I have a physics midterm tonite and i was trying some of the practice tests and i got stuck on this question, ur help would be greatly appreciated :)

1. The problem:
A sled is traveling at 4.00m/s along a horizontal stretch of snow. The coefficeint of kinetic friction is Uk=0.05 and the coefficient of static friction Us=0.07. How far does the sled go before stopping?

2.This is my thought process:
Ok I am assuming its moving at constant speed and the acceleration is negative so i drew the FBD with weight down, normal forced up and force of kinetic friction to the left. (Assuming its moving to the right) i thought that Fnet= force of friction (x-direction) = m a , and that by solving for acceleration i can use it to find out the distance however i don't have mass so I didnt know wat to do?! Any suggestions?

3. The answer is actually 16.3m

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you need to know the mass?

I think if you just follow thru with what you have done already, you are there:

set ma=frictional force and solve for a.

well if what i said was correct and fnet(x-direction) = ma = Ff, then
ma = Ukmg right? ohhh ic...lol so a=Ukg... my bad this is where i make another stupid mistake...THANKS

What is sled friction?

Sled friction is the resistance that the sled experiences when moving across a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the sled and the surface it is moving on, and can be affected by factors such as the material of the sled and the surface, as well as the weight and speed of the sled.

Why is it important to solve a sled friction problem?

Solving a sled friction problem is important because it can help determine the amount of force needed to move the sled, as well as the potential speed and distance the sled can travel. It is also important for safety reasons, as excessive friction can lead to accidents or damage to the sled.

What are some common methods for reducing sled friction?

Some common methods for reducing sled friction include adding a lubricant, such as wax or oil, to the bottom of the sled, using a smoother surface for the sled to slide on, and reducing the weight of the sled. Other factors, such as the angle of the surface and the temperature, can also affect friction and should be taken into consideration.

How can I calculate the amount of friction on a sled?

The amount of friction on a sled can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the sled). The coefficient of friction can be determined using the materials of the sled and the surface, and the normal force can be calculated based on the weight of the sled and the angle of the surface.

What are some real-life applications of understanding sled friction?

Understanding sled friction is important in many real-life applications, such as designing sleds for winter sports, determining the best materials for sleds used in transportation, and creating efficient braking systems for sleds used in emergency situations. It is also relevant in industries such as engineering, physics, and sports science.