Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Sleep disorders

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've noticed a number of threads asking about sleep paralysis, and especially loud noises when falling asleep. I found this article and thought others might be interested.

http://www.livescience.com/health/sleep-disorders-top10-100208-1.html

The "loud noises" is a disorder called "Exploding Head Syndrome".

http://www.sleepassociation.org/index.php?p=explodingheadsyndrome

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard about this. I, too, hear very loud noises from time to time when I sleep, or as I fall asleep. I always thought it was just part of a dream but I never remember the context of the dream.

Typically the noises are like falling book shelves.

But I wouldn't say the noise comes from "inside my head"; it seems to have its origin from somewhere nearby. So I don't think this phenomenon is what I experience.

4. Oct 15, 2010 #3

Borek

I wonder if it is related to what I experience occasionally. Just before falling asleep I have a feeling as if I banged my head on something - no pain, just the shock, as if my head has been shaken. Interestingly, it happens rather when I have an occasion to doze during a day, rarely when I go to bed at night.

5. Oct 18, 2010 #4
    I get the bright white flash of light sometimes when im drifiting off to sleep, and the TV makes a kind of banging sound... Like someone flicked the corner of the TV hard.

Wierd.

6. Oct 18, 2010 #5

Evo

The tv noise could be a discharge of static, my tv does that all of the time.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook