Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sleep Driving

1. Mar 8, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187230,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2
    Can you imagine waking up and noticing that you are driving!?!?!? O___O

4. Mar 8, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes! When I first read the title, I thought you were going to be saying something about people who are too tired to be driving getting into accidents. But, actually taking a sleeping pill then getting into a car without even realizing it?! That explains the driving of the morning commuters a bit better though. :eek:

5. Mar 8, 2006 #4
    As long as they're asleep I guess the drug works as advertized.

6. Mar 8, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's awful...but still funny. :rofl: Hey, I'm sure it already has a warning on the label not to drive or operate heavy machinery, so it's not their fault if people sleepwalk to the car, right? :rolleyes: :zzz:

7. Mar 8, 2006 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I can't believe that anyone taking Ambien would accidently drive. I can see them driving and have no memory of it, however. Ambien is some weird stuff, I'm surprised it's legal. It is a strong hallucinogen and memory loss is almost 100% if you do not go to sleep.

Anyone found driving on the stuff needs to be locked up and smacked silly.

I take Ambien due to my severe sleep deprivation and DON'T TAKE AWAY MY AMBIEN! I found out that half of the people in my office take it due to stress. But I realize the side affects and only take it when I am going to bed.

8. Mar 8, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People take it at times other than when they're supposed to be going to bed? Have I missed something? I thought it was a sleep aid. Why would you take it at any other time? The stuff sounds like valium...puts you to sleep and you don't remember anything if you're awake?

9. Mar 8, 2006 #8

Evo

People are idiots, 'nuff said. It's nothing like valium, well maybe valium in huge quantities.

One 10mg tab of Ambien and you will see purple flying worms extending across the room.

Sure the tv commercial shows a bunch of puppies taking it and waking up refreshed. That's why they showed the puppies, right?

10. Mar 8, 2006 #9
    People are getting prescriptions of this specifically to help them sleep, but taking it during the day instead to stave off stress??

How do they work around all the purple worms?

11. Mar 8, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just looked into what it is, exactly. It acts at the same receptor as benzodiazepams! The generic name is zolpidem, if anyone is interested in delving further.

12. Mar 8, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have done something like this but due to stress and lack of sleep, not drugs. I had been pushing as hard as I could for months - working typical 18 hour days, 7 days a week. It seems that one night I came down to my office and worked, perhaps even with live 220 VDC circuits, while asleep.

For some time I found a number of oddities in the circuits being built that were most perplexing, and I found an equipment case assembled, which was most distressing since I KNEW that I had not done that. The first serious clue came when Tsu got up one night about 3AM - I was gone and I don't know where. She assumed that I had gone down to work, but as far as I knew I had fallen asleep on the couch earlier, and woke up there the next morning. Only later did it all make sense.

13. Mar 8, 2006 #12

Evo

I don't think they're taking it during the day, although the article doesn't say the time these drivers were on the road. I'm sure the fools decided to drive somewhere and then the Ambien kicked in and they didn't remember getting in the car.

14. Mar 8, 2006 #13
    I'm talking about the people in your office.

15. Mar 8, 2006 #14

Evo

They take it at night to go to sleep. Stress keeps them awake. They don't take it during the day.

16. Mar 8, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That just sounds insane to me, and their physicians should have their heads examined too for prescribing it. Just a quick search shows me that it's considered a hypnotic...that's certainly not just your run of the mill anxiolytic. It's not helping you to sleep because you're just relaxed and stress-free, it's putting you to sleep because it's knocking you out! Hallucinations are listed as a common side effect, as is memory loss if you don't fall asleep right away. It sounds like it can develop dependence very easily too, and withdrawal symptoms sound pretty bad. Sleep deprivation sounds better than this stuff. :bugeye:

17. Mar 8, 2006 #16
    Would this actually act as an hallucinogen as Evo says?

18. Mar 8, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, the way you said it, I thought you meant they were taking it during the day to cope with stress. :rofl:

19. Mar 8, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like it; it acts on one of the subunits of the GABA-A receptor, which is all over the brain. If you're just randomly activating that receptor everywhere in the brain, it's going to have all sorts of effects. I'm also coming across lists of articles of it being abused as an IV drug, so I'm guessing others have figured out the hallucinogenic part. (I'm not reading them, just scanning titles at the moment to get an overall sense of what issues are being or have been studied related to this drug.)

Edit: hallucinations are definitely listed as a side effect. http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,712|Ambien,00.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  20. Mar 8, 2006 #19
    Wow. Explains the sleep-driving. Evo's right: it's surprising it's legal.

21. Mar 8, 2006 #20

Evo

The hallucinations go away after continued use, but will reappear if you stop for awhile and then start back up.

The memory loss doesn't stop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?