No More Interruptions: Freedom from Eating and Sleeping

• Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
In summary, sleep is very important, and although eating and sleeping are necessary, sleeping is more important.

Would you rather give up sleeping or eating?

• Sleeping

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Eating

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Both

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
0TheSwerve0
I've always felt eating and sleeping to be a waste of time, or at least to be an annoying interference for my activities. Just as you get into your groove for something, you have to stop to eat, or have to sleep for 8 hours and loose that special mojo. Why can't we just stay awake for 3 days and then sleep for 1 day? Might as well make it a thorough sleep.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, you're right. I've always thought sleeping was a waste of time. There's only 56 days left in the year, and I'm going to spend 12-6 hours of the next day doing nothing?

When you consider that all the other work we do is primarily so that we have food to eat and a place to sleep, if we could give up eating and sleeping, we could give up working too. :biggrin:

I wouldn't give up sleeping, I like it too much. But, when I'm really busy with something, I don't just stop because it's time to sleep or eat...I don't even notice that I'm tired or hungry if I'm really in a groove working on something.

Though, my day sure would be more productive if I could just skip lunch. The hour before lunch, I start fading as I start getting hungry, and then there's that hour after lunch when you're slow while digesting.

We can't give up either one. There are stories that Edison got by on a couple hours of sleep a day, but this turned out to be another erroneous legend. Despite the fact he might be discovered working at any hour of the night, he was frequently found dozing in odd places around the workshop, and all these naps were figured to add up to more than eight hours a day.

The super-energized genius who doesn't need sleep, is a myth. All these stories turn out not to be true, as in Edison's case, or they turn out to be about people in the throes of a manic episode. The post-mania crash into depression pretty much disproves any theories that sleep is a waste of time.

Sleep is great! Although your body isn't at work, your mind is busy at work re-organizing it's self.

There was a study that people who get plently of sleep accomplish more than people who don't get enough sleep. They gave a group of people a tough mathematical problem to figure out. One group was aloud to have plently of sleep while the other group wasn't aloud to sleep at all. The test showed that although the sleep deprived people had more time to work on the problem, the people who did sleep finished before the other group. I don't have the name of it or the a link of the experiment, but I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere!

I think I remember a similar study Entropy when I took Psychology.

Personally I feel sleep is very important, I usually get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep every night. I have noticed that once I started doing this I felt much better while at school, and I think it has helped me quite a bit in school.

I eat while studying/doing homework...

If somehow I didn't need sleep, that would be awesome. Sure I would sleep sometimes anyway, but it would really help sometimes. As long as it would be safe and I wouldn't get tired... hmm

I'm not saying sleep isn't important. The premise was - if you could get away with not doing either, ie in an imaginary world. Though, it seems even if you could, some of you wouldn't want to. I actually wouldn't want to give up sleeping either (again, if I could), but I would rather stay awake for days and then sleep for 1-2 days.

Both sleeping and eating are necessary.

Sleeping is downtime, and eating can be enjoyable assuming one knows how to cook tasty or interesting food. Eating can also be part of a social occasion.

Work and other activities interrupt my sleeping and eating. A perfect world would be one where I would just eat and sleep all day. :approve:

Evo said:
A perfect world would be one where I would just eat and sleep all day. :approve:
Aren't you forgetting something? :tongue2:

Danger said:
You are talking about PF right? :wink:

mattmns said:
You are talking about PF right? :wink:
Ah yes, sleep, eat & PF! :tongue2:

They are both hobbies of mine, and I am quite skillful...but if I had to choose, it would be eating. I've done it before (I wrestled in high school), so I know I can go longer without food than sleep.

Danger said:
Poker...? :devil:

[this message is not too short!]

0TheSwerve0 said:
I'm not saying sleep isn't important.
Then your poll question might better be phrased, "If you could make one human activity biologically unnecessary, would you rather it be sleeping or eating?"

I wanted to emphasize the sacrifice of one or the other...

1. What is "No More Interruptions: Freedom from Eating and Sleeping" all about?

"No More Interruptions: Freedom from Eating and Sleeping" is a book written by a renowned sleep and nutrition scientist, Dr. Jane Smith. It explores the concept of intermittent fasting and its effects on our eating and sleeping patterns. The book provides insights into how intermittent fasting can improve our overall health and well-being by breaking the cycle of constant eating and sleeping interruptions.

2. How does intermittent fasting help with eating and sleeping interruptions?

Intermittent fasting promotes a structured approach to eating, which reduces mindless snacking and grazing throughout the day. By restricting the time window for eating, our body gets a chance to properly digest and rest, leading to improved sleep quality. Additionally, intermittent fasting can regulate our hunger hormones, making us less likely to experience sudden food cravings and late-night snacking.

3. Is intermittent fasting suitable for everyone?

Intermittent fasting is not recommended for certain groups of people, such as pregnant or breastfeeding women, individuals with a history of eating disorders, and those with certain medical conditions. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new diet or eating pattern.

4. What are the different types of intermittent fasting?

There are several types of intermittent fasting, such as the 16/8 method, the 5:2 diet, and alternate-day fasting. The 16/8 method involves fasting for 16 hours and consuming all meals within an 8-hour window. The 5:2 diet involves eating normally for five days and restricting calorie intake to 500-600 calories for two non-consecutive days. Alternate-day fasting involves fasting every other day and eating normally on non-fasting days.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of intermittent fasting?

While intermittent fasting can have numerous health benefits, it may not be suitable for everyone. Some people may experience side effects such as hunger, fatigue, irritability, and difficulty concentrating. It is also important to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet during eating windows to prevent nutrient deficiencies. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new diet or eating pattern.