Sleep and Erections: Effects of Ambien and REM Sleep on Nightly Erections

• Medical
  • Thread starter jlcd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the quality and quantity of sleep can greatly affect a man's erectile function due to its impact on hormone levels and blood flow to the genitals. Ambien, a popular sleep medication, can suppress REM sleep and potentially decrease nightly erections. This is because REM sleep is associated with increased blood flow and spontaneous erections. Studies have also shown a potential link between REM sleep and erectile dysfunction. Therefore, improving sleep quality and practicing good sleep hygiene may have a positive impact on erectile function.
jlcd
I took Ambien (sleeping pills) for about 2 to 3 years because my mind always so active and it makes me sleep better. But stopped it about 2 months ago because the pills only made me sleep 3 hours then awake the whole time whereas now I learn how to sleep at least 5 hours without it.

But I encounter nightly erections continuously while sleeping. Is this normal? Do you guys all experience this.. I'm not talking about erections in the morning when you get up but at midnight. It's like when my mind is relaxed and I sleep.. it cause chemicals to flow into the organ relaxing the cells dilating them.. could it be related to the fact that I suppressed REM sleep for all those years I took sleeping pills. And when I stopped it.. the REM rebound and cause continuous erections throughout the night? I have to get up so often because I read it you have continuous one for 4 hours (priaprism), the organ may get damaged from lack of oxygen.

The urologist I consulted is not familiar with it because he is not a neurologist. The neurologist I consulted not familiar with it because he is not familiar with urology. And their comments are just to wait until it stopped. So I need some knowledge of REM sleep and erections for now at least to understand why it is happening and if it happens to you guys too.. Thanks a lot.

Biology news on Phys.org
jlcd said:
I took Ambien (sleeping pills) for about 2 to 3 years because my mind always so active and it makes me sleep better. But stopped it about 2 months ago because the pills only made me sleep 3 hours then awake the whole time whereas now I learn how to sleep at least 5 hours without it.

But I encounter nightly erections continuously while sleeping. Is this normal? Do you guys all experience this.. I'm not talking about erections in the morning when you get up but at midnight. It's like when my mind is relaxed and I sleep.. it cause chemicals to flow into the organ relaxing the cells dilating them.. could it be related to the fact that I suppressed REM sleep for all those years I took sleeping pills. And when I stopped it.. the REM rebound and cause continuous erections throughout the night? I have to get up so often because I read it you have continuous one for 4 hours (priaprism), the organ may get damaged from lack of oxygen.

The urologist I consulted is not familiar with it because he is not a neurologist. The neurologist I consulted not familiar with it because he is not familiar with urology. And their comments are just to wait until it stopped. So I need some knowledge of REM sleep and erections for now at least to understand why it is happening and if it happens to you guys too.. Thanks a lot.
Sorry, we cannot offer a diagnosis or give medical advice here. Tell your GP doctor that the urologist and neurologist are not being helpful, and ask for a different referral. Thread is closed.

What is the relationship between sleep and erections?

The quality and quantity of sleep can have a significant impact on a man's erectile function. During the normal sleep cycle, men experience multiple episodes of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is associated with increased blood flow to the genitals and spontaneous erections. Additionally, the release of hormones such as testosterone and growth hormone during sleep can also contribute to erectile function.

What is Ambien and how does it affect sleep and erections?

Ambien is a popular prescription sleep medication that is often used to treat insomnia. It acts as a sedative and helps people fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. However, Ambien can also suppress REM sleep, which may lead to a decrease in nightly erections. This can be problematic for men who rely on REM sleep for maintaining erectile function.

Can Ambien have a negative impact on nightly erections?

While Ambien can be an effective treatment for insomnia, it may also have a negative impact on nightly erections. As mentioned earlier, Ambien can suppress REM sleep, which is associated with increased blood flow to the genitals and spontaneous erections. Therefore, men who take Ambien may experience a decrease in the frequency and quality of their nightly erections.

Is there a link between REM sleep and erectile dysfunction?

There is evidence to suggest that there may be a link between REM sleep and erectile dysfunction. Studies have shown that men with erectile dysfunction may have a reduced amount of REM sleep, which could contribute to their condition. Additionally, sleep disorders such as sleep apnea, which can disrupt REM sleep, have also been linked to erectile dysfunction.

Can improving sleep quality improve erectile function?

Yes, improving sleep quality can have a positive impact on a man's erectile function. Getting enough REM sleep and maintaining a regular sleep schedule can help to regulate hormone levels and promote healthy blood flow to the genitals. Practicing good sleep hygiene, such as avoiding caffeine and electronic devices before bed, can also improve sleep quality and potentially improve erectile function.