Detecting Early Signs of Sleep: What to Look For?

• Medical
  • Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, Taylaron is seeking help to create a cheap and non-invasive device that can detect when a person is starting to fall asleep. They are specifically looking for a way to detect the first and second stage of NREM sleep, and are open to suggestions such as physiological changes like rapid eye movement, slowing heart rate, and changes in brain waves. They are also hoping for cost-effective options.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hi PF, I need some help. I'm studying to be an electrical engineer and I'm trying to make a cheap, non-invasive device that can detect when a person is starting to fall asleep. The device should be able to work on any person and perform a task before they can fall asleep.

*Can anyone tell me what happens physiologically when a person starts to loose consciousness?

As a bonus, it would be extra helpful if you know a way to easily and cheaply detect it.

What I know:
rapid eye movment- unusable beacuse the person is too far into sleep
slowing heart rate- differs from person to person and is dependent on prior physical activity. unreliable?
brain waves change- too invasive to detect and costly.
Any more?
Thoughts?

Much thanks,
Taylaron.

Biology news on Phys.org
Bueller? ... Bueller?... Bueller? ...

Does anyone have a thought on detecting the first and second stage of NREM sleep?

Much thanks,
-Tay

1. What are the common signs of sleep deprivation?

The common signs of sleep deprivation include excessive daytime sleepiness, difficulty concentrating, irritability, fatigue, and mood swings.

2. How can I detect early signs of sleep disorders?

Early signs of sleep disorders can include difficulty falling or staying asleep, waking up frequently during the night, and feeling unrefreshed after sleep. Other signs may include loud snoring, gasping for air during sleep, and leg movements.

3. What are the benefits of detecting sleep problems early?

Detecting sleep problems early can lead to early intervention and treatment, which can help improve overall sleep quality and prevent potential health complications such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

4. Are there any specific tests for detecting sleep disorders?

Yes, there are specific tests that can be used to detect sleep disorders. These include polysomnography, which measures brain activity, heart rate, and breathing during sleep, and the Multiple Sleep Latency Test, which measures how quickly a person falls asleep during the day.

5. What lifestyle changes can I make to improve my sleep?

Some lifestyle changes that can improve sleep include maintaining a regular sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bedtime, creating a comfortable sleep environment, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation.