1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sleep Walking

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    How is one able to sleepwalk and enact a dream without even knowing it? I have already sleepwalked , sleep studied (amazing huh? i got an 'A' for that paper) and sleep eaten.My parents saw me & let the episode pass and I cannot recall even a moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My ex-husband used to cook while sleepwalking. His mother would find him in the kitchen frying eggs and he'd be asleep. It can be a very dangerous condition.

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The states of consciousness and unconsciousness are not on/off. Nor is memory storage and recall.

When sleepwalking, parts of your brain are perceiving and acting (even on knowledge, such as 'where is the door'). Not remembering can merely be a matter of short-circuting the memory-storage mechanism.

We're so used to everything in our brains working tickety-boo we forget that it's pretty kludgy.

6. Nov 2, 2007 #5
    This week I found out that my uncle was a sleepwalker.:zzz:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?