Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sleep Walking

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    How is one able to sleepwalk and enact a dream without even knowing it? I have already sleepwalked , sleep studied (amazing huh? i got an 'A' for that paper) and sleep eaten.My parents saw me & let the episode pass and I cannot recall even a moment.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

My ex-husband used to cook while sleepwalking. His mother would find him in the kitchen frying eggs and he'd be asleep. It can be a very dangerous condition.
  5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

Gold Member

The states of consciousness and unconsciousness are not on/off. Nor is memory storage and recall.

When sleepwalking, parts of your brain are perceiving and acting (even on knowledge, such as 'where is the door'). Not remembering can merely be a matter of short-circuting the memory-storage mechanism.

We're so used to everything in our brains working tickety-boo we forget that it's pretty kludgy.
  6. Nov 2, 2007 #5
    This week I found out that my uncle was a sleepwalker.:zzz:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?