Sleeping late and eating late

  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,764
10
Sleeping late and eating "late"

Hey guys i was wondering something. My parents always use to act like i wasnt getting any sleep simply because instead of sleeping like, midnight to 6am, id be sleeping at 6am to noon or 2pm. Is there any difference in how much sleep you get if you sleep at "non-traditional" times?

Also, taking that in mind, they also use to get on me when i ate late at like 11pm or midnight. The thing was, i would go to sleep at 5am or something so i always figured that eating at midnight and sleeping at 5am was equivalent to eating at 6pm adn sleeping at 11pm like a normal person. Does your body digest differently or whatever (you know how they say eating before you go to sleep makes you fatter....) late at night no matter when you woke up or fell asleep?
 
Pengwuino said:
Hey guys i was wondering something. My parents always use to act like i wasnt getting any sleep simply because instead of sleeping like, midnight to 6am, id be sleeping at 6am to noon or 2pm. Is there any difference in how much sleep you get if you sleep at "non-traditional" times?

Also, taking that in mind, they also use to get on me when i ate late at like 11pm or midnight. The thing was, i would go to sleep at 5am or something so i always figured that eating at midnight and sleeping at 5am was equivalent to eating at 6pm adn sleeping at 11pm like a normal person. Does your body digest differently or whatever (you know how they say eating before you go to sleep makes you fatter....) late at night no matter when you woke up or fell asleep?
your parents sould think they you ae study or reseach thingis. are you fat ? sorry just guess,

IIused to live in a farm of castele. see fat pigs as i observese they sleep all the time. and only wake up to eat.
 

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,764
10
boteet said:
your parents sould think they you ae study or reseach thingis. i see it you might be fat, sorry just guess, because fat pigs as i observese they sleep all teh time. and only wake up to eat.
Welcome to summer vacation with no job and my summer classes cut because california needs a better version of Quicken.
 
:rofl: thx :wink:
 

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,061
62
Why would you want to go asleep at 5 am?? Do you shun the sunlight? Why not go to sleep at 11 pm like regular people do?

Don't get me wrong, my friend does the exact same thing and his perfect time of going to sleep is 3 am and waking up at 10 am or 1 pm in weekends. It feels to me that life is passing you by when you wake up late every day.
 

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,764
10
Its hot :D
 
1,068
7
I don't see a difference in eating/sleeping in that time frame. Except you might be more active from 6 to 11, and burn off more calories.
 
Some people are day people, some, like us, are night people. The mission is not to change OUR ways, but get society to recognise our personal bodyclocks and cater for us. I mean, if vegetarians can do it... I used to go to sleep at 4 am every morning. trouble is, I had to be up at 8:30 am. [shudder]

Nah, there's no difference I reckon. It's a lot worse to try and make yourself fit in with everyone else.
 

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,764
10
Well i dont think im reall tryign to make any societal stands of protest here... i was just wondering if is hould be eating when i do :-p
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,195
51
You're just following your own circadian rhythm, which seems to be out of sync with the natural world around you. If you feel rested, then you're getting enough sleep; it's really that simple. There is a syndrome called "delayed sleep phase disorder," in which one or more of the genes/proteins involved in the circadian rhythm expression are altered. These are your truly classic "night owls" who can never adjust to the daily schedule most people function on, no matter how much they try. (On the other end of the spectrum, there is also an advanced sleep phase disorder, which are your classic "early birds" who wake up before dawn naturally...not with an alarm clock).

As for when you eat your meals, the only reason they tell people not to eat late is that they assume they are going to sleep soon after the meal and will gain weight (though I can't sleep without a snack or my grumbling stomach keeps me awake all night). If you're still awake for many hours after eating, there should be no problem.

What seems to be less healthy is switching your schedule around a lot. For example, if you sleep all day when you have a day off, but then get up really early to go to classes or work, that's worse than if you stick to the same schedule all the time. Studies of shift workers have shown that those who work "swing" shifts (they rotate schedules so nobody always has the night shift...a few days on first shift, a few days second shift, and a few days third shift) have more health problems, particularly with things like high blood pressure and heart attack risk than those who work a constant shift, even if it's always nights.

I have always tended to be much more of a night owl myself, and especially when there's a lot of work to be done, I too prefer to sleep through the hottest part of the day in the summer and instead stay up all night while it's cooler.
 

Pengwuino

Gold Member
4,764
10
The morning pisses me off. I mean breakfast, what the hell is that. All i can think of for breakfast is eggs or cereal. Theres no big variations like lunch or dinner. Plus i feel like i can get right into the thick of things when i wake up later. In the morning, everyones all groggy and boring and not doing anything productive. Wake up in the afternoon and you gotta hurry up, go go go, worlds moven dont miss the train and all that good stuff :D
 
I aw well stay up till around 12 or 1 and wake up around 11 or 12. I also eat late at night and I'm not fat so I personally don't see anything wrong with that. It's really not cool during the school year though.
 

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,061
62
Moonbear said:
There is a syndrome called "delayed sleep phase disorder," in which one or more of the genes/proteins involved in the circadian rhythm expression are altered. These are your truly classic "night owls" who can never adjust to the daily schedule most people function on, no matter how much they try.
But that is what I don't get, if you can adjust to a 3am/10am schedule, why is it hard to shift the schedule 3 hours earlier? I mean, shifting your whole day pattern, not just going to bed earlier.

Time is just a number.. I sometimes am tempted to change the clocks in the house to three hours later, but then when he arrives first at work.. would give away my game :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
45
0
I must admit i live on a similar schedual as pengwuin and it feels fine. I only really feel awake late at night. As my girlfriend will testify I am not a morning person.
 

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,061
62
But what is morning? When you wake up late, that will be morning.. even though it is already 1 pm.

Why would your mood be better when you sleep 8 hours and wake up at 11 am opposed to sleeping 8 hours and waking up at 8 am?
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,195
51
Monique said:
But what is morning? When you wake up late, that will be morning.. even though it is already 1 pm.

Why would your mood be better when you sleep 8 hours and wake up at 11 am opposed to sleeping 8 hours and waking up at 8 am?
Your sleep/wake cycle, as well as cycles of heart rate, body temperature, metabolic rate, etc., are actually entrained to the day/night cycle. When the sun comes up, you're supposed to wake up (give or take an hour). But if the clock genes don't turn on or off at the right times, due to a mutation, then you don't wake up when the sun comes up, you either wake up too early or too late. You're going to feel bad if you wake up out of sync with your melatonin rhythm, temperature rhythm and metabolic rhythms (ever notice how you start feeling chills and how you start getting really hungry, craving lots of carbohydrates if you're trying to pull an all-nighter?). The body can really only easily shift about an hour or two per day, so if you're 6 hours out of phase with the day/night cycle, it can take as much as a week to adjust (assuming you aren't someone with a sleep disorder).
 

Monique

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,061
62
Sure, it'll take time to adjust: like a jet-lag. That does not explain why people swear by going to sleep late and getting up late, I know so many people who feel it is inhumane to go to work before 11 am.. I feel that is just being difficult.

I even know someone who worked noon-8pm shifts.. just so that he could go to sleep at 4 am..

I don't see how you are going to feel any more rested when you shift your whole pattern.

I used to go to work at 5 am, after a while you adjust to the time and it is no different than going to work at 9 am or 11 am (did that too for a while).
 
45
0
I have no idea but it's true...
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,195
51
Monique said:
Sure, it'll take time to adjust: like a jet-lag. That does not explain why people swear by going to sleep late and getting up late, I know so many people who feel it is inhumane to go to work before 11 am.. I feel that is just being difficult.

I even know someone who worked noon-8pm shifts.. just so that he could go to sleep at 4 am..

I don't see how you are going to feel any more rested when you shift your whole pattern.

I used to go to work at 5 am, after a while you adjust to the time and it is no different than going to work at 9 am or 11 am (did that too for a while).
If your normal circadian rhythm is longer than 24 hours, it's hard to get up earlier, or even to get up at the same time every day; you gradually wake up later and later. You'll always feel tired if you're waking up with less sleep than you body wants (normal circadian rhythms vary from about 23.5 to 24.5 hours; not everyone falls within the normal range).

Here's a site that shows some of the molecular mechanism (though it's a bit outdated, it's useful for the general concepts), complete with cool animations.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/animations/mol_mod_mamm/mamm_frames.htm
 

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,317
7
If the following quote is accurate, how is our circadian rhythm regulated by sunlight exposure? Will a phase shift in sleeping pattern as Pengwuino describes, go against the grain of this regulating system? Will a sufficient amount of neurotransmitters, (such as serotonin) be produced under these conditions? Besides affecting depression/euphoria mood, do levels of serotonin also affect short-term memory? Are there other common neurotransmitters triggered by sunlight?

The body has a natural rhythm of sleeping and wakefulness, called the circadian rhythm, which is regulated by exposure to sunlight. Working on the night shift will cause a change in this rhythm, because your altered sleep schedule means you will have less exposure to daylight. This in turn may affect the production of mood-related neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, and may predispose you to depression. Studies show that night workers do have a higher risk of depression. While the exact causes for this link is unclear, working at night may isolate you from friends and family, reducing your support system and further increasing the risk of becoming depressed.
http://www.pharmaprix.ca/english/health_wellness/health_centres/emotional_health/SDM_depr_FAQ.html [Broken] see #5.

If this is correct, it would be worth it to be awake and endure the heat of day and then sleep at night, as it would be healthier for our brain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Want to reply to this thread?

"Sleeping late and eating late" You must log in or register to reply here.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Top Threads

Top