Sleeping Problem: How to Repay "Sleeping Debts

• Medical
  • Thread starter AllenHe
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been having trouble sleeping early since moving to a new place with their parents three years ago. This has caused them to be very sleepy during the day and has affected their brain's functioning. They have recently tried to sleep early but are still experiencing sleepiness after waking up. They are wondering if they need to continue sleeping early for a long time to make up for their "sleeping debts," or if this is even possible. They are seeking advice, but it is recommended to speak to a doctor for medical advice.
AllenHe
About 3years ago I moved to a new place with my parents, and since then I couldn't sleep early. Usually I could only sleep at 1 or 2 am in midnight(12 pm if lucky), and had to wake up at 6.30 for school. The lack of sleep made me very sleepy during the day, basically my brain wasn't fresh for even one day.

Recently I tried sleeping early, but still get very sleepy after I wake up.
Do I have to continue sleeping early for a very long period of time in order to repay my 'sleeping debts'? Or it's not possible?

Someone help please.. :(

Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry but we can't give you medical advice here. It's best to speak to your doctor.

1. What causes sleeping debts?

There are several factors that can contribute to sleeping debts. These include not getting enough sleep on a regular basis, frequently waking up throughout the night, and having an irregular sleep schedule. Certain medical conditions, medications, and lifestyle choices such as excessive caffeine or alcohol consumption can also contribute to sleeping debts.

2. How many hours of sleep do I need to repay my sleeping debts?

The amount of sleep needed to repay sleeping debts varies from person to person. However, on average, adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per night to fully repay their sleeping debts. It is important to pay off these debts consistently and not rely on occasional long sleep sessions to catch up.

3. Can napping help repay sleeping debts?

Napping can be beneficial in repaying sleeping debts, but it should not be relied upon as a substitute for a good night's sleep. Naps should be kept short (around 20-30 minutes) and taken earlier in the day to avoid disrupting nighttime sleep. Additionally, napping should not be used as a regular strategy to repay sleeping debts, as it can create an irregular sleep schedule.

4. How long does it take to repay sleeping debts?

The time it takes to repay sleeping debts varies based on individual factors such as sleep quality, lifestyle habits, and underlying medical conditions. However, consistently practicing good sleep habits, such as maintaining a regular sleep schedule and avoiding caffeine and alcohol close to bedtime, can help repay sleeping debts over time.

5. What are the long-term effects of not repaying sleeping debts?

Not repaying sleeping debts can lead to a variety of negative consequences, including increased risk of chronic health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. It can also impair cognitive function, mood, and overall quality of life. It is important to address and repay sleeping debts to maintain good physical and mental health.