Sleepy after reading few pages

• Thread starter inotyce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of feeling sleepy while reading and explores possible reasons for this, such as reading at the wrong time of day, dehydration, and reading in bed. The conversation also mentions that it is normal to feel tired while reading and that it could be a problem only if it occurs during important activities like sex or driving.
inotyce
I find myself sleepy every time I finish 1-2 pages of some book. AM I sick ? or is my brain's reading function problematic ? I'm worried!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you're reading at the wrong time of the day?

Maybe you need to sleep more during the night?

I heard, or read rather, in the paper the other day, that, get this, 75% of Americans (hey the study was done there) are chronically dehydrated, and apparently if you let your water reserves drop even 2% below "normal" it leads to what they called "daytime fatigue". Now, I'm not American, but I don't drink enough water and I know it, and I'm tired man, so tired. I also work awful hours and stay up late, but I'm going to try and up my fluids anyway.

In any case, I wouldn't be too worried, plenty of folks get tired, but you might as well make sure that you're doing the right things with regards to eating, sleeping, drinking and exercise before you jump to any diabolical conclusions.

Maybe you're reading something that is really boring?

Do you read in bed often? Apparently if you read in bed, you tend to associate reading with subsequently sleeping and therefore if, one day, you decide to read in your living room, your brain begins to prep itself for a nap.

Try "The Story Of O". It'll either keep you awake or give you nightmares. :devil:

This is me too. I read a few pages and pass out.. I've finished books but only after about 300 naps.

Travis_King said:
Do you read in bed often? Apparently if you read in bed, you tend to associate reading with subsequently sleeping and therefore if, one day, you decide to read in your living room, your brain begins to prep itself for a nap.

This is pretty much what happens to me if I'm reading something boring. If its something I enjoy, then I'll continue to read for hours until eventually getting tired.

Anyway, no it's not problematic to fall asleep while reading a book. Perfectly normal!

(Unless you have Narcolepsy.) :P

It's serious only if you fall asleep during sex or while driving. I haven't done either more than twice.

1. Why do I feel sleepy after reading just a few pages?

Feeling sleepy after reading a few pages is a common experience. This is because reading requires our brains to work hard to process the information and stay focused. This can lead to mental fatigue, which can make us feel sleepy.

2. Is there a scientific reason for feeling sleepy while reading?

Yes, there is a scientific reason for feeling sleepy while reading. Our brains have a natural tendency to enter a state of relaxation when we are doing a repetitive or monotonous task, such as reading. This can cause us to feel sleepy.

3. How can I prevent feeling sleepy while reading?

To prevent feeling sleepy while reading, it is important to make sure you are well-rested before starting to read. Taking breaks, staying hydrated, and reading in a well-lit and comfortable environment can also help. Additionally, choosing a book that is engaging and interesting can help prevent drowsiness while reading.

4. Is it normal to feel sleepy while reading even if I am interested in the book?

Yes, it is normal to feel sleepy while reading even if you are interested in the book. As mentioned before, reading requires mental effort and can lead to fatigue, regardless of the subject matter. It is important to take breaks and practice good reading habits to prevent excessive drowsiness.

5. Can reading before bed make me feel more sleepy?

Yes, reading before bed can make you feel more sleepy. As mentioned earlier, reading can cause our brains to enter a state of relaxation, making it more difficult to stay awake. This is why many people choose to read as part of their bedtime routine to help them fall asleep.