How to Slice a Donut into 13 Pieces with Only Three Cuts

• Thread starter terrabyte
  • Start date
In summary, the maximum number of pieces that can be obtained from one doughnut with three planar cuts is 13, with no rearranging allowed between cuts.
terrabyte
One Doughnut
Two Cuts

what's the maximum number of pieces you can get?

and no crazy stuff like "i bought 12 doughnuts and i cut them with my baseball bat and some had like 35 pieces!"

PS> the pieces don't have to be the same size, and the doughnut is standard ring (toroid) shaped

Physics news on Phys.org
any folding allowed?

terrabyte said:
One Doughnut
Two Cuts

what's the maximum number of pieces you can get?

and no crazy stuff like "i bought 12 doughnuts and i cut them with my baseball bat and some had like 35 pieces!"

PS> the pieces don't have to be the same size, and the doughnut is standard ring (toroid) shaped

And the cuts need to be planar !

yes planar cuts please

don't fold the doughnuts! Bad!

I get 5 , but surely you can make more, right ?

EDIT : I rearranged before the second cut.

PS : Hey, I just green lights appear - neat ! Have they always been around ?

<-----------------------------|

Last edited:
yeh the lights have always been around.

explain how you got 5 :D

wish we had a chalkboard. this type of problem is way more fun with something to draw with

terrabyte said:
yeh the lights have always been around.

explain how you got 5 :D

wish we had a chalkboard. this type of problem is way more fun with something to draw with

I drew a picture, but my posting rules say that I may not post attachments...WHY ?

I got 6. (and ruined a perfectly good bagel).
The only way I can explain it is if you look at it edge on, I made an X shaped cut.(which also you would see if you turned it around and look at the other side).

Math Is Hard said:
I got 6. (and ruined a perfectly good bagel).
The only way I can explain it is if you look at it edge on, I made an X shaped cut.(which also you would see if you turned it around and look at the other side).

Looks like the winner !

wheee! what do I win? A donut?
actually, I'm expecting Terrabyte to write back any second and post a solution showing how 24 pieces can be made from two strategic cuts... :biggrin:

You can also get 6 pieces by rearranging between the cuts. Put the donut flat on the table and make a downwards cut through the center.

That gives you two C shapes. Align one on top of the other and make another downward cut, slicing off the 'prongs'. So you get 4 prong pieces plus 2 attenuated C shapes.

Obligatory follow-up question. Same rules, but three cuts allowed now. :smile:

Damn, I was using a jelly donut! Not only did it restrict how many pieces I could get, it made a real mess.

Njorl

ceptimus said:
You can also get 6 pieces by rearranging between the cuts. Put the donut flat on the table and make a downwards cut through the center.

That gives you two C shapes. Align one on top of the other and make another downward cut, slicing off the 'prongs'. So you get 4 prong pieces plus 2 attenuated C shapes.

Obligatory follow-up question. Same rules, but three cuts allowed now. :smile:

This seems pretty easy considering the other posts: 18.

yeh, i came up with 6 pieces using the "X" cut as well, but the "C" cuts was a nice surprise. Good thinking!

Next Question: you have one Labrador Retriever... :surprise:

If no rearranging is allowed between cuts, I think the maximum with three cuts is thirteen pieces.

How did you get 13? I get 8...

Learning Curve said:
How did you get 13? I get 8...

I'll show you how to get more than 8:

Three cuts:
If you view the donut from the side, the first cut is from the top left of the hole to the bottom right.
The second cut is from the top right to the bottom left.
There should now be six pileces - four wedges, and two C's.

The third cut is vertical, and slightly off center. It cuts through one of the C's twice, and through all for wedges. That makes for 12 pieces. (Sorry no illustrations.) It's not that hard to get to 13 from there.

1. How do you properly slice a donut?

To properly slice a donut, you will need a sharp knife or a donut slicer. Place the donut on a cutting board and cut it horizontally in half. Then, cut each half into smaller slices as desired.

2. Why should I slice a donut?

Slicing a donut allows for easier sharing and portion control. It also allows for more surface area to be covered with toppings or filling.

3. Can you slice a donut with any type of knife?

Yes, you can use any sharp knife to slice a donut. However, a donut slicer is specifically designed for slicing donuts and may provide more even slices.

4. How thick should I slice a donut?

The thickness of the slices is a matter of personal preference. However, it is recommended to slice the donut into equal sized pieces to ensure even cooking and consistent flavor.

5. Can I slice a donut that has already been filled?

It is not recommended to slice a donut that has been filled, as the filling may spill out and make it difficult to slice. It is best to slice the donut before filling it with any toppings or fillings.