Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slick to the touch

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have noticed that (sodium hydroxide) NaOH solution and also bleach (active ingredient: sodium hypochlorite), soap and oils are all slippery to the touch.. Why is that so? What propertie do they share that allow them to behave this way?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I would imagine low intermolecular forces resulting in low shear forces, and they fill in the 'valleys' of a surface. Basically that's how a lubricant works.

4. Apr 27, 2006 #3
    Anything that is basic is usually slippery

5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    NaOH basically turns some of your skin cells into soap through a saponification reaction. I'm not sure about other bases though.

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Ya, I was going to say, it could be due to the NaOH (or more specifically, the OH- ?) reacting with the oils/fats in your skin making a thin layer of soap which gives it the slippery texture.

7. Apr 28, 2006 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for all you ideas; the low intermolecular forces (for why oils or lubricants are slick) and also the saponification of base with skin oils.. I suspect that is what happens with bleach too (NaOCl) although its pH is not as high as sodium hydroxide.. It is still basic (ph = 9-10) and may be enough to enable the reaction.

8. Apr 28, 2006 #7
    Yeah, NaOH solutions do feel slippery, I noticed that too. I suggest keeping your hands out of them.

9. Apr 29, 2006 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it is the Na+ that is specifically relevant to the soapy feeling (and the basic medium). The "soap" is after all the sodium salt of the fatty acid (of course, another alkali, K+ say, would do this too). That's probably why the same thing happens with bleach.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?